XP machine can't see Vista machine

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by bobc4d, Feb 20, 2007.

1. bobc4d

bobc4d

I beaten my head against the wall for two days trying to get this sorted out.

I have a machine with Vista running Live OneCare and Windows Defender, the other machine has XP with Windows XP firewall and AVG antivirus.

I can ping the XP machine form the Vista machine and I can see all the public folders on the XP machine.

I can not ping the Vista machine from the XP machine and I can not see any public folders or the printer on the Vista machine.

I changed all the settings I can on Live OneCare to make it as less secure as possible but without any help, I still couldn't see the Vista machine from the XP machine.

both machines connect through a Linksys firewall/router and each is able to connect to the internet. The machine with Vista did have XP on it before the upgrade and I had no problems with networking the two, so I can pretty much eliminate the router as the problem.

I have ensured that they are both in the same workgroup.

thanks,

bob

bobc4d, Feb 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bobc4d

Jason

Go to your network settings in control panel and make sure the network type is set to "private" not "public", and all the sharing rights are turned on in that area.

Jason, Feb 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. bobc4d

kingofnexus

Windows Firewall is what stopping the ping, not one care. Do what Jason said and make sure you are set to private.

kingofnexus, Feb 21, 2007
  4. bobc4d

Evonow

I'm having the same problem. However I cannot see my XP machine and my XP machine cannot se my Vista machine.I can play all the music filesstored on my XP machine through my Vista machine using windows media connect but cannot share through the network.

Evonow, Feb 25, 2007
  5. bobc4d

zain76

HI. this is my first post so i hope it's useful

I had a similar problem which took me a few frustrating hours figure out but I finally managed to get somewhere.Here's a few things for you guys to check:

-In the system tray, right-click on the 'network' icon an open 'network and sharing centre'.

Make sure that 'network discovery' is on.

-In the same line as the network label, there a 'customize' button. 'Click customize' and set the network to private.

This works for most machines that are on the same switch/hub. I dont know if thats because of our network configuration or whatever.

If the above does not work go to the windows firewall(located on the bottom left of the network and sharing screen)and click 'change setting'.

The last tab should be 'advanced. Click on this tab and remove the the tick from 'Local area connection'

This should fix all your sharing problem however the firewall will not be 100% effective. Im still looking for the individual protocols to disable to share properly and will post it here when i find it.

zain76, Feb 26, 2007
  6. bobc4d

bobc4d

thanks all. I had a friend that does networking for a living check this. it turns out that it was the firewall setting on the XP machine. He checked (ticked for those in the UK) all the options and PRESTO the connection to Vista was set up.

thanks again,

bob

bobc4d, Mar 6, 2007
  7. bobc4d

kingofnexus

Told ya. It was windows firewall thats stopping it. I wish everyone would just by a router with a hardware firewall built in, and disable windows firewall. Its an utter waste of time.

kingofnexus, Mar 12, 2007
  8. bobc4d

VistaRocks

I agree but i myself also use an internal firewall cause i run a teamspeak server (running 24/7)and occasionally a F.E.A.R. server.

VistaRocks, Mar 12, 2007
  9. bobc4d

bulletman21

[Text deleted]

Moderator: Please do not provide posts to indicate how to disable UAC. Doing what you've suggested is more than turning off prompts, it opens the door for all kinds of malware, and it increases the risk of legacy applications failing silently. We strongly discourage folks disabling UAC.

bulletman21, Mar 27, 2008
  10. bobc4d

danielb

Moderator: Please highlight and bump upany instructions on turning off UAC, the worst implementation of "security" features of any current operating system. By constantly nagging the user, UAC warnings do more harm than good by causing users to ignore messages as they become used to quickly clicking past them.

Rather than come up with an intelligent, non-intrusive access control, MS chose to go for the most shot-gun approach regardless of the environment (home or corporate)---just pop-up authorization windows ALL the time.

The fact is, it is so intrusive that many many peopleturn it off and that will continue to be the case unless substantial changes are made. When a security feature has such a negative impact on thecomputer experienceto the point where it can't be tolerated by most users, it's a failed security system. Please continue to highlight any efforts to quicken it's demise.

danielb, Apr 24, 2008
  11. bobc4d

WAW8

Can't comment on UAC being the "worst ..." because, evidently unlike you, I'm not familiar with the security features of "any current operating system" -- only a few.

The aggravation caused by the UAC prompts is actually going to fix itself. The primary cause of the many prompts at present is that MS implemented a new security model behind the scenes that requires changes to applications (in terms of security) or, if those changes aren't present, prompts the user for permission. In a "properly written" app, you would see NO UAC prompts, the app and the security infrastructure would handle all permissions, and do all elevations, behind the scenes.

OK, so now you're going to say that you're running "Vista-capable" apps and you're STILL getting UAC prompts. That's because the app providers did the minimum necessary to get their apps to RUN under Vista. When we get real, built-from-the-ground-up-to-work-in-Vista apps, we should then see few or no UAC prompts anymore.

In the meantime, there are steps you can take to minimize the prompts without turning off UAC. So, no, I'm NOT going to encourage, or otherwise simplify, the turning off of UAC.

WAW8, Apr 24, 2008
  12. bobc4d

Rustyg

I have followed all the directions mentioned in this thread and am still having problems accessing my Vista system from a XP or ME edition system.

My Local area network was functional before the Vista system came into play. I can access the other systems from Vista but those systems can not access the Vista System resources.

I have Windows Firewall TURNED OFF. I am running ZoneAlarm but for testing purposes I shut it down. There is a D-Link Router, which has a firewall for internet connections, between the systems, wireless and wired connections.

The XP system reports back That it does not have permission to access the vista resource I am seeking. File sharing is turned on for the resource such as C: drive or "John" user files.

I have been chasing this since Vista installed and keep trying things but no luck.

Edited: I might add I can access and print on the Vista printer form the other machines.

Can anyone help this very new to vista person?

Rustyg, May 25, 2008
  13. bobc4d

W3000x2VHP

Are you still having trouble with this, Rustyg?

On the Vista machine, is password protected sharing enabled, or not?

Have you enabled the necessary shared folder and NTFS permisiions?

W3000x2VHP, Aug 18, 2008
  14. bobc4d

bassfisher6522

Here try this. This is in the pinned area at the top of page in network/internet forum.

<SPAN id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl04_lblFullMessage>The new Network Map in Windows Vista allows you to easily create a map of all computers on your network and see how they are connected. This works by using the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD)protocol that is only part of Windows Vista. <P nd="2">To help users of mixed environments of both Windows Vista and Windows XP, Microsoft has released the Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder for Windows XP. This will make your Windows XP computers show up in the Network Map in Windows Vista.

<SPAN>This package contains the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) responder. The network map on a computer running Windows Vista shows a graphical view of the computers and devices on your network and how they are connected by using the LLTD protocol. The LLTD responder must be installed on a computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. </SPAN>

<SPAN nd="3">Click here to download the updatefor Windows XP SP2</SPAN>

Also check your firewall, CA and Norton plus a few others are notorious for blocking access. I had same problem; try disabling firewall and check if you can access that way. If you can then you now it's your firewall. </SPAN>

bassfisher6522, Sep 12, 2008
  15. bobc4d

laszlojamf

I had the same problem. None of these solutions helped me. Had to poke around for a while before I figured itt out. In Vista, go to Network and Sharing Center. At the bottom of the screen, there's an option "Password protected sharing." It was set to ON. When I set it to OFF, my XP machine suddenly was able to see my Vista machine.

laszlojamf, Jan 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question