XP logs on to server - Vista doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by elric, Jul 20, 2007.

1. elric

elric

I have a fairly new bog standard Dell business PC with a nice “Vista ready” sticker on it.

Partition C runs XP, is trouble free and logs me onto our server without problem.

Partition D runs Vista Ultimate and is driving me crazy.

I cannot log onto the server (Win 2000), I can see all network machines (and use the internet) and Vista tells me everything is fine. I don’t need other machines; I do need the server’s hard drives.

The Vista partition only has Firefox and Office loaded; firewall etc. all turned off. Ipconfig/all returns identical data (where applicable) on both partitions. I have also followed all the advice I could glean the the net.

I can get all the way to logging on to the domain (changing from the default workgroup) when I get the dreaded:

“An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC being joined has failed............”

Is the problem with the server? Our IT administrator has left and not yet been replaced so be kind.

If anyone needs to see ipconfig or anything else then please ask.

Thanks

elric, Jul 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. elric

heathcomputers

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem at one of my clients.

They have a Win2k Server which currently has a mixture of Win2k & XP Pro machines connected to it. Owing to the fact it is getting harder to buy new machines with XP Pro I decided to bite the bullet and go to Vista.

I am trying to install a brand new HP Compaq Core 2 Duo machine with Vista Business onto the domain.

I get to exactly the same point, where it tries to connect to the domain but cannot resolve the domain. It can obviously connect to the domain, because if I use a computer name that already exists it moans at me!

I have tried everything I have found on the web to resolve this, all to no avail. I have been at it now on my customers site for 2 days straight!

I have tried all of the following on the Vista machine:<UL><LI>Setting the TCP/IP settings to use the DNS server instead of auto config</LI><LI>Adding the DNS IP address into the WINS</LI><LI>Adding the DNS IP address into the Gateway</LI><LI>Specifying a static IP address</LI><LI>Disabling the firewall</LI>[/list]

On the Win2K Server I have tried the following:<UL><LI>Completely re-configures DNS</LI><LI>Removed the forward lookup zone and recreated it</LI><LI>Disable the Microsoft Firewall service to kill the firewall</LI><LI>Added the computer name into Active Directory</LI><LI>Opened up ports 398 in ISA2000</LI>[/list]

I think that is about it, although I'm sure I have tried a lot more!!

Nothing seems to resolve this issue, please can someone help!!

heathcomputers, Jul 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. elric

Jason

First, connect to the domain as a member of a workgroup with the same name as the domain. If you can see any network shares as a member of the workgroup, then remove the VISTA client computer name from the Win2K AD list of computers. New re-attempt your normal efforts to join the domain. At times, the Win2K AD can improperly register the computer name. This approach has worked for me in the past.

You may also want to take a look at this:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1335187

Could take a look at this as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/wifi/vista_bootstrap_wired.mspx

Jason, Jul 25, 2007
  4. elric

heathcomputers

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried everything in your post, all to no avail!

I still cannot connect to the domain, and I still get the same error message!

Interestingly though, with the workgroup set the same as the domain, I can map a network drive to the server!

I have even tried the following as well:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1376560&amp;page=4

Any other thought??

I'm just about to give up all hope and phone Microsoft to see if they can help!

5. elric

Walker

Have you got the newest updates for your servers?

Walker, Jul 25, 2007
  6. elric

heathcomputers

Did a Windows Update yesterday which downloaded some.

Do you have anything specific in mind??

7. elric

jmztaylor

I had the same problem with Vista and Server 2003. How i ended up fixing it was to install IPv6 on the server and then set up the server as a DNS server. Then i went into the lan properties for Vista and changed the primary DNS server for both IPv4 and IPv6 to the Server 2003 ip address. It finally was able to join and is currently living in harmony. But like I said it is 2003 and i don't know if it will work for 2000. Just an idea though

jmztaylor, Jul 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question