WUSA searching for updates never stops

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by JosephSelah, May 18, 2012.

1. JosephSelah

JosephSelah

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing SP2 for vista and microsoft recommends that windows update standalone installer is ran if this is the case. I've seen accounts from others online and this resolves their problem but for me, the windows update standalone installer never stops checking for updates, it's been about an hour and it's still going. I checked the event logs and found no related errors. Any suggestions?

I'll keep it running through the night but the process seems to be hung to me.

JosephSelah, May 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. JosephSelah

ClarkTNTien

Actually, it should not be searching for any updates. The standalone installer is supposed to be a single program. You just run it in administer mode and it takes about an hour or so to finish. I believe you have to install SP1 first though. I am not sure about that..:confused: Hope that helps in some way! :)

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    ClarkTNTien, May 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. JosephSelah

JosephSelah

Thanks for the help! I have a screenshot showing that I am on SP1 and a screen shot of the WUSA searching for updates. This strikes me as odd as well but it's been doing this for a day now. any ideas?

Attached Files:

JosephSelah, May 19, 2012
  4. JosephSelah

JosephSelah

Also, I am an admin on my machine and I turned off UAC so I don't have "run in admin" mode, it just does run in admin mode.

5. JosephSelah

ClarkTNTien

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468

I have included the SP2 link.. please give this a try. There should not be that message unless maybe both your installer and automatic update is running at the same time? You might want to turn your automatic update off first? I am not sure about this. It is just an idea. However, if you would like to download this SP2 that is the only thing I can recommend because it is what I did every time for my Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (french) [32-bit] and it works! My Vista has SP1 already in it so I just went to SP2 instead of doing SP1 first#!!

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  6. JosephSelah

ClarkTNTien

It is 348.3 MB so you might want to double check the size just in case the file is corrupt during transfer.:)

7. JosephSelah

JosephSelah

Thanks, I just ran it and encountered the same error. :( The error reports 0x800f0900. I also checked the file size and it was correct. This is so strange!

8. JosephSelah

ClarkTNTien

I looked up the error code and it seems to be a corrupt or incorrect updating program version. You might have to re-install the entire operating system from scratch. Sometimes shutting your computer off while it is in the middle of a task can do this to your system - arghhh........ I have learned to shut down properly now. Only in rare hanging of like ten minutes do I shut it off by holding the power button down. Anyways, I have installed SP1 and SP2 before so I know that it hangs for an hour sometimes and it is still working because after about an hour it finally completes all it has to do. It should not have to go any more than two hours though. Anyways. I have too many restores so I just leave it at default and not update to the next SP1/SP2. They take too darn long and I just have to let my only computer sit there while I get bored out of my mind haha

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question