Wireless USB Adapter Problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by damagedyersinc, Oct 18, 2007.

1. damagedyersinc

damagedyersinc

Hi i'm new here but I didn't really know where to go to;

I've recently installed Vista Business on a new Dell PC. I've had problems installing the wireless adapter but in the end, Vista itself installed drivers for it though now the utility provided with the adapter doesn't work at all.

The connection works fine until you try and download large files/use more bandwidth. For example; using a download manager like Flashget to download several files. From then it dwindles straight to 0kbps and then the whole connection dies, disconnects and the router is no longer available, according to Vista and yet the router is running fine with other computers on the network going strong.

I've tried installing, updating, reinstalling drivers, altering the power settings and other internet settings to no avail.

It's quite frustrating and there seems to be no way around this, has anyone experienced anything similar?

damagedyersinc, Oct 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. damagedyersinc

CL0N3R

What OS did you previously have install before you installed Vista Buisness?

CL0N3R, Oct 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. damagedyersinc

kingofnexus

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649

Download this update if windows hasn't automatically installed it itself (it didn't show as an available update to me). Its main purpose was to help wireless connectivity. Check installed updates first, and if you don't have it, go ahead and download and install it.

kingofnexus, Oct 21, 2007
  4. damagedyersinc

Jason

I assume you can browse the web fine? And the problem only occurs during prolonged downloading?

Just clarifying before I saw anymore.

Jason, Oct 24, 2007
  5. damagedyersinc

WAW8

Had similar problems on a Vista box installing a new "N" wireless adapter. Either, had to use the linksys utility to manage the adapter, or had to use Vista -- but not both. If Vista installed it's own drivers (sounds like it did), the third-party utility probably won't work.

If you choose to use the utility, I would recommend the following:

1) Obtain the most current version of the utility from the hardware site

2) Uninstall any version of the utility you have now.

3) Remove the Vista wireless drivers

4) Reboot the machine; when it asks to install the drivers, cancel out

5) Install the utility

6) Should then ask to reboot.

WAW8, Oct 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question