Wireless router trouble

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Candace, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Candace

Candace

Hi there,
    Can anyone help me with my connection problems? Here's the story. I have an HP desktop about 3 years old. It came loaded with Vista Home Premium when purchased. This is my secondary computer in my basement. The primary one is upstairs. I had a tech come and set up a DLink wireless router. Worked great no problems. Then I decided to wipe the hard drive clean and install Linux. Still worked fine. Connected to the internet easy enough. I didn't like Linux, so I did a reinstall back to factory settings with Vista. Vista works fine, but it won't recognize any wireless networks. I don't have the dvd that came with the router. How should I go about reconnecting? Why would Linux recognize the network and not Vista. https://www.vistaforums.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Candace, Oct 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Candace

clifford_cooley

Hi Candace - Welcome to vistaforums

Have you tried Windows Update? Windows Update can usually fix any problems you may have with hardware not setting up. The hardware updates are optional updates and may need to be setup for Windows Update to check for them.

You will need to make sure your wireless adapter is setup correctly. You can check for driver issues in Device Manager. Any driver that has been flagged with a yellow triangle has not been setup properly.

If I knew which Wireless adapter you have, I could point you to the manufacturers website for the drivers you need. If you know which network adapter, you can go to their webpage and download drivers for your version of Windows.

clifford_cooley, Oct 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Candace

Candace

I'm not sure which adapter I have. So then you are saying and excuse my ignorance.lol I need to connect via my upstairs modem to get all the updates first?

Candace, Oct 16, 2010
  4. Candace

clifford_cooley

Connecting via Windows Update using a wired connection has installed drivers for wireless network adapters many times. :)

If by some chance this doesn't work, we will try a different aproach. :)

clifford_cooley, Oct 16, 2010
  5. Candace

Candace

That's what I thought. I guess I will have to lug the computers upstairs.lol I will give it a try. Thanks for your help.

Candace, Oct 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question