Wireless router incompatible?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Gutterbumber, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Gutterbumber

Gutterbumber

EDIT: Should I post this in Tech Support?

Greetings,

I have a CompUSA (FMI) 802.11b/g router running in my home, with WPA/TKIP and passphrase protection. I have three XP machines connected and running fine. My wife recently purchased a Gateway laptop with Vista Home Premium installed. It will not connect. When I "diagnose" the problem, Vista states connection failed for an "unknown reason". Purposely entering a incorrect passphrase does not change the error message, so I'm unsure if its even getting to the security phase...

The neighbors have an unsecured connection running and the laptop will connect to that fine. I have installed a USB wireless adapter, and the problems are the identical - so I'm eliminating the wireless adapter as the problem.

The only scenario in which it will connect is if I change the mode in the router from "AP" (Access Point?) to "Station Ad-Hoc". With no security running, the Vista machine will connect, but connectivity, both on the Vista machine and the XP machines becomes an issue (slow load times). I have also tried turning off IPv6 on the wireless adapter, to no avail. It simply will not connect.

Both Vista, and the router's firmware is up-to-date.

Is this simply an incompatibility? I'd rather not purchase another router just to diagnose a problem...

Thanks for your time,

Bill

Gutterbumber, Feb 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Gutterbumber

Gutterbumber

FIXED! I forced an upgrade to the newest Realtek wireless adapter drivers, despite Vista insisting they were up to date. This fixed the problem right away.

Hope this helps someone..

Gutterbumber, Feb 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question