Wireless internet / DNS

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by seedy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. seedy

seedy

Hi all,
    I appear to be having some intermittent issues with my internet connection (Atheros AR5005G on an Acer Aspire 9300 running Vista Home Premium SP2).

Firstly, I use Xmarks (a bookmarking utility) and it is quite often reporting a 'bad gateway' when trying to sync. I also use OpenDNS as my DNS servers and their DNSCrypt software often reports the DNS server in use as 'default'. When I check my wireless adapter's IPv4 properties, the DNS server says 127.0.0.1
    (by the way, my router is set to use OpenDNS's addresses anyway, I just recall my card being set to these addresses too so cannot understand why they will no longer 'set'). However, when I attempt to change the DNS server on the adapter's IPv4 setting to the OpenDNS addresses, it always defaults back to the local address (127.0.0.1).

This starting happening a few days ago and I think it was around the time that I attempted to connect, via LAN cable, to a Cisco WAP4410N 802.11n Wireless-N Access Point I obtained. I eventually gave up with the Cisco in the end as I just couldn't get it to work correctly (yet!).

I have tried a 'netsh winsock reset' which didn't work. I still get unusual intermittent connection issues with certain software.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened?

Many thanks in advance.

seedy, Jul 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. seedy

Rhapsody

127.0.0.1 is the localhost loopback. Basically this won't give you a working DNS server except if your computer is the DNS server itself. You need to manually add DNS server or make your computer automatically get one. Maybe the router gives this DNS server automatically because it isn't configured correctly?
    You can use CCleaner to delete your DNS cache which may help :).

Rhapsody, Jul 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. seedy

seedy

Thanks for trying to help.

My router is using the OpenDNs addresses correctly, just checked. Also tried CCleaner with the 'DNS Cache' checked but I used it daily and it made no difference either I'm afraid. Just checked IPv4 setting and despite setting my DNS addresses manually 2 minutes ago, the 'Preferred DNS Server' has defaulted back to 127.0.0.1 yet again :(

Very frustrating!

seedy, Jul 2, 2012
  4. seedy

seedy

I've just realised DNSCrypt is causing this to happen as it is doing the DNS encryption locally, so sets the address to route all traffic through itself.
    Doh!
    :)

seedy, Jul 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question