Wireless Connection problem - constant drop outs (Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless NIC)

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by huey85, Feb 13, 2007.

1. huey85

Rood

Try it with the dell package I mentioned...

Rood, Oct 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. huey85

insats

Sorry for being so negative :) I actually hadn't tried that specific driver, but I have tried several others, including one that had the exact same bug fixes reported.

Anyway, I'm trying the driver now. So far so good, but I'll report back in later to let you know how it goes.

insats, Oct 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. huey85

insats

Nope, that driver didn't solve it either.

Back to square one (again..)

insats, Oct 22, 2008
  4. huey85

Nicosu

Have you tried with different routers?

That was my saviour. Third router was the charm. Actually, I do still infrequently have disconnections occuring, but not nearly as often as before.

Now I use a D-Link DIR-635

at my family's home we have a DIR-855

both work :D

(the ones that didn't work out for me were:

-a cwappy philips one, sorry don't know specifics

-linksys wrt54ag)

Nicosu, Nov 1, 2008
  5. huey85

Nicosu

Strange that there are no more replies..

Anyway, sadly.. I feel like bumping and sharing that I am being disconnected now as frequently as before :,(

Nicosu, Dec 1, 2008
  6. huey85

somp

I have gone through all the fixes posted here. Things that has worked for me during past two weeks is that I uninstalled Zone Alarm and Avast and installed Comodo Internet Security. So, try not loading your Firewall and anti-virus at start up and experiment what combination works for you.

somp, Dec 3, 2008
  7. huey85

Psyence

Taken from my old journal. This topic has been quiet for a while but I thought I'd add this incase anyone is still having problems and hasn't considered doing this...

Oh boy do I ever feel stupid. Ever since my laptops motherboard broke due to faulty soldering about three or four weeks ago I've been using my dads. The problem was that it had trouble staying connected to our wireless router. The connection randomly dropped and the download speeds were awful. When I say it randomly dropped I mean it could be after 18 hours or it could happen several times in 10 minutes and the only way to fix it was to reset the router or restart the laptop. The download speed wouldn't go over 10kb/s and when it did it would be too heavy and the connection would cut again. Lets not even get into how long it took to stream a video.

So, it finally got to the point where it was SO frustrating that if I didn't do something about it I was probably going to murder someone. I tried some pretty heavy stuff:

Disabled UPnP on my router.

Disabled QoS Packet Scheduler.

Messed with IPv6.

Disabled Toredo Tunneling Pseudo interface.

Disabled both of the LinkLayer Topolgies.

Switched power settings on router to 'always on'.

Got the latest router firmware from router manufacturers website. Also tried some of the older firmware.

Broadcasted my SSID.

Temporarily disabled wireless security. (No way I'm leaving that off, especially with broadcasting SSID.)

Disabled Firewall.

Set wireless adaptors roaming to minimum.

Changed router channel from 6 to 12.

I did a few other things but nothing worked. By that point I'm pretty sure I was literally ripping out my hair in blind rage. Then a friend suggested checking the Windows Updates section in control panel as Vista only automatically installs 'important' updates and the 'optional' ones need to be manually checked, downloaded and installed. Desperate enough to try anything at this point I decided to go check. It was there. An update for my router and an update for my wireless card. I updated both and restarted my laptop in less than 3 minutes and I am now able to download at 800kb/s+ and I've had no disconnections for 12 hours.

I feel so stupid. But I guess this is a good example of the solution always being in the most obvious places. This is probably why the technical support guys ask 'Did you try restarting your computer?' first when you call them. I will no longer feel patronized when someone points me in the direction of the most basic solution.

Psyence, Feb 25, 2009
  8. huey85

puppetj

I hope you can still help even know this posted is old, but I have the same issue at my house, i tried those steps, i got my router rma / replaced, which was linksys, tried a netgear router, got my notebook replaced they replaced wifi card, linksys tech did settings to my router, my friends notebooks when they stop over my house get the same issues, but when i plug in wired its fine, and i have a nokia n810 wireless mobile device and i have no issues with that with the wifi, also i dont know if this might have to do with it, but fully charged / and semi charged batteries of phones cell or landline even the nokia n810 seem to die next day or few days later and have to be recharged!

But if i bring my notebook over friends house i have no issues with there wifi, is there some force field or demon ghost doing this?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

puppetj, Apr 3, 2009
  9. huey85

WAW8

This post is specific to Intel 3945ABG chipset-related problems. Please don't add posts expanding this into generic wireless connection problems.

Thanks.

WAW8, Apr 6, 2009
  10. huey85

derekjames

Hey Guys,

I've been having the same problem as the rest of you with frequent drop/reconnect issues with my intel proset card. I've read through the entire thread and have finally found that the disabling of ip6 has stopped the dropping.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/09/how-to-disable-tcpipv6-teredo-tunneling-in-vista/

That site shows a few ways on how to disable ip6. I didn't find the teredo tunneling device but I used cmd.exe to disable it anyway.

I hope this helps anyone whos been having the same problems. I just hope that this is a permanent fix.

derekjames, May 18, 2009
  11. huey85

derekjames

Scratch that. wasn't permanent.

derekjames, May 18, 2009
  12. huey85

cjtails

I too am having this problem...on an HP Pavilion as well. It seems that I lose my connection every 2-5 minutes.

What I find peculiar though is that when I lose the connection, my IP address remains...staying connected to the local network and as I hover my mouse over the Internet Connection Icon in my system tray and it will show the network to which I had connected but as the Network Name and 2 or 3 following it, and another Network connection of the same Network name with a 3 following it. My windows firewall has been off the whole time...even after a reboot to ensure I was able to rule that out.

Any other ideas?

cjtails, Jun 22, 2009
  13. huey85

mizbutterfly

I know this thread is a bit old, but I am having the exact same problem that everyone else here has hadwith the connecting wirelessly with Vista and the Intel 3945ABG...for the last 3 years!

Issue has been going on for months now with my Gateway FX laptop, and just seems to be getting worse. I have already tried everything suggested in the many forums I have researched, including everything listed in the "sticky" post here for troubleshooting network connection problems, and everything suggested in this tread....and NOTHING works!!!! A couple times I got my hopes up and thought the problem was resolved, but low and behold, it always came back. Just recently, I went about 2 weeks without a single connection issue, then all of a sudden it happened again today (same old dropped connection, local access only, ect) and was not able to connect at all for almost 12 hours or so no matter what I did...then just as unexplainedly came back on and is very fast again, without me doing anything at all as usual.

So, I figured, since I have the net working again for now, I would pop a quick post in here to see if anyone has actually found a real permanent fix for this issue that WORKS?? Has this OS seriously been out for almost 3 years now and nobody has found out the root cause??? Or are there many causes that just can't be fixed on Vista at all? Microsoft? Intel? Anyone? C'mon, this is just ridiculous.

BTW, I have another laptop running on XP wirelessly to same router with no connection issues, ever. Same as many others I have seen here.

mizbutterfly, Sep 17, 2009
  14. huey85

analyzer1us

I had the same problem (frequent but intermittent drop outs on my 802.11 connection) on a new HP HDX18T. No problems on my wired connections, and the other wireless-N PC worked fine so I knew it was my laptop. I saw another post that suggested turning OFF the "Turn on notification of new networks". I also turned OFF the "activity animation" since I was there and don't care about animation. You get there by right-clicking on the network icon in the tray. Anyhow, that solved the problem. I'm not sure whether I turned it on by mistake previously, or an update did it but it's gone now and that's all I care about. Good luck!:)

analyzer1us, Oct 16, 2009
  15. huey85

jamesm113

jamesm113, Oct 30, 2009
  16. huey85

konradsa

According to this Intel forum post the problem is supposed to be fixed soon: http://communities.intel.com/thread/11503?tstart=-1

I can only hope. This has been getting worse lately on my laptop (Windows 7)... I am about to buy another wireless card and drive over the 3945 card with my car. I used to purchase Intel products only, believing that this would prevent such issues (or at least they would get fixed quickly). But I guess in future I will have to reconsider that.

konradsa, Mar 29, 2010
  17. huey85

Opalite

I also have the exact same thing, HP Pavillion home premium, VISTA, 2009, etc. I recently have been getting constant chiming going on. I turned off all sounds and it still constantly chimes, driving me nuts that I turned the volume entirely off! Anyone know how to get rid of the chimes???

Opalite, Aug 18, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question