Wireless Connection problem - constant drop outs (Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless NIC)

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by huey85, Feb 13, 2007.

1. huey85

najten

najten, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. huey85

Jason

WEP is incredibly easy to break, I suggest WPA. Much more secure.

Jason, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. huey85

morrison22

wrt350n w DD-WRT v24 3-5-07
    Intel 3945 internal wifi card
    Vista Ultimate

I am having a problem with my wireless connection dropping after a couple hours, (changes from local and internet to local only) and it wont reconnect unless I reboot windows vista. I also can never achieve higher than 60% (# produced by sidebar gadget) and can never get better than "Good" as the wireless signal strength indicator in the taskbar, even though I am 10 feet away from the router.

I tried several different drivers for the intel card, and currently i am on the latest version available for vista. Neither have changed performance.

The same thing happened with the firmware from linksys v1.03.2 as well, so I prefer to use dd-wrt.

I tried disabling qos and ip6 in the wireless card adapter properties.
    I also applied the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    I have also disabled teredo tunneling pseudo in Device Manager.

Same problems. I really think its a driver issue. I dont know. Can anyone shed light how I can fix this. I need my wireless to NOT drop connections. Its very annyoing.

Note: I constantly run utorrent 1.6.1, with only 4 half open connections set, and I binded the IP to my computer's IP. Ports are forwarded correctly, and speeds are decent.

morrison22, Mar 14, 2007
  4. huey85

najten

OK so disabling SPI firewall on my Netgear WGT624 router did not work - was still disconnected when I woke this morning. I have now reduced the MTU size on the router to test.

Unfortunately I can not install the XP drivers for my Dlink DWL-G122 USB adapter as the XP driver in an exe which Vista will not run....

Will report further when I get home and see if I'm still connected.

Anyone else have any luck?

najten, Mar 14, 2007
  5. huey85

najten

Well got home this afternoon after being away for 7 hours from last re-boot and was still connected! Let's hope it stays that way!

najten, Mar 15, 2007
  6. huey85

morrison22

<P minmax_bound="true">I found the problem.. Its was dd-wrt.. needed to use an earlier firmware version dated 2-9-07 instead of 3-5-07 and that fixed the drops. Now on to the 60% issue. Any help on this? Anyone else experiencing?

morrison22, Mar 15, 2007
  7. huey85

redecs

I first thought that this is driver issue, but after I tried different version of drivers for my Dell Wireless 1390 MiniCard (Broadcom chip), I've updated my router firmware and tested the various securty settings (wep, wpa, no encryption), I'm convinced that this is a Microsoft Vista issue.

It's strange though that a friend of mine, having a Intel WiFi card (and of course Windows Vista) had no problems with the connection, while I was unable to use it (same router, same network settings).

Anybody tried this patch? I have earlyer version of those files...

LE: I forgot to mention that I don't have the poor signal issue (60% or so)... The router is very close to the notebook, so te signal strenght is Excelent (90%+).

redecs, Mar 15, 2007
  8. huey85

mathewsmt

he guys...

2 days ago i got my copy of windows vista ultimate... so i installed it on my laptop (HP dv5215us)... i had installed the 32bit version and all the drivers available on the hp site, but still had problems with wireless and wired net connection... when i open a torrents, torrents r slow and the net will drag... and after i disconnect the torrent still no net connection so i have to restart the laptop.... when i installed the 64bit version the net access was better than 32 bit... still had sompe problems with torrents... but major problem was that a few drivers where not available and so no sound, card reader, etc....

now i have gone back to windows xp media center.... till someone has a solution for these problems....

does anyone have a solution

mathewsmt, Mar 15, 2007
  9. huey85

najten

Hey mathewsmt, unfortunately you will have to wait until your manufacturers write (if ever) 64 bit Vista drivers - there are no other solutions other than that - or replace your equipment with Vista x64 Certified products.

Regarding the wireless issue at hand, I reduced the MTU size on my router from 1492 to 1486 and it is PERFECT! Yeah! Been connected for 24 hours now and actually managed to complete some torrents I had been on for over a week!

So my solution in the end was a combination of disbling SPI firewall on router and reducing MTU size on router from 1492 to 1486.

I will keep an eye on this post to see how everyone else gets on.... But first maybe try the above.

Again, I have Dlink DWL-G122 USB G adapter with Netgear WGT624 V2 router SPI disabled and MTU of 1486.

Good luck.

najten, Mar 15, 2007
  10. huey85

mathewsmt

hi,

my router is DLink DI-624... as u said i reduced my MTU 1486...... it seems the router is better in xp... but not sure in vista... coz its hard to keep going form vista and xp... coz the xp is on 4 restoredvd's and take around 4 hours for basic restore....

so i want to know is if that will also solve the torrent problem.............. coz when the torrent is running i get no net access via ie or firefox.... but the same setting give me ok sppen in xp for ie or firefox

mathewsmt, Mar 15, 2007
  11. huey85

redecs

I've requested this patch from Microsoft and it makes the wireless network connection usable... when the problem occurs (after a longer period of time), a simple disconnect/connect to my wireless router regains network and Internet access (no reboot).

I'm telling you this, because, maybe, on your pc that patch will have better results.

As of me, the "downgrade" to Windows XP SP2 will completelly solve the problem! (Hope that the hotfix form Microfost for dual-cpu/dual-core systems does his job).

Regards

LE: this edit is from Windows XP SP2. what is very strange, is that after i've updated to the latest wireless card drivers supplied by Dell, i have the same problems i had on Vista after I applied that hotfix... This means that my problem is not related to Vista anymore, but to my mini-pci wifi card or my D-Link DI-624 router. Argh!

redecs, Mar 17, 2007
  12. huey85

najten

my torrents are going better than ever no since I have solved this connectivity problem. Although a lot of torrent congestion is due to too much upstream bandwidth allocation. Reduce that a little and see how you go.

najten, Mar 19, 2007
  13. huey85

redecs

Back again, with good news.

Clean install of Vista, Broadcom drivers supplied by Microsoft and the hotfix i mentioned above, and my wireless network works like a charm! :D

redecs, Mar 20, 2007
  14. huey85

mathewsmt

hey its nice to hear that ur net problems have gone.... so anyway what is ur laptop??? also do u have to broadcom driver link for microsoft......

thanx

mathewsmt, Mar 20, 2007
  15. huey85

mathewsmt

hey <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'1771\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'1771\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'1771\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'1771\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'1771\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'1771\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');"><A class=SmlBoldLinks id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_smAuthorName onmouseover="window.status = window.location;return true;" title="View najten's Profile..." onmouseout="window.status='';return true;" href="void('');"

mathewsmt, Mar 20, 2007
  16. huey85

WAW8

Found this suggestion on a Technet forum (from a "tsberry"):

The default setting for the 3945abg is moderate roaming aggressiveness. What this means is that "at the drop of a hat" that it will look for a better signal (maybe your neighbor's?). If you want to stay "locked on" to a particular router then set the roaming agressiveness setting to its lowest.

Also when troubleshooting your connections, turn off encryption until you solve the problem. Make sure that transmission power is set to maximum. Once solved, you can turn it on again.

Networks that have a lot of noise will spend a lot of time retrying to send packets and after awhile will get out of sync sometimes. It will appear to you that your wireless lan is "hung". If you know how, turn off packet bursting in this case.

More on: TechNet Forums » Windows Vista IT Pro » Windows Vista Hardware » Re: Intel 3945ABG wireless behavior inconsistant

WAW8, Mar 23, 2007
  17. huey85

mathewsmt

mathewsmt, Mar 24, 2007
  18. huey85

JustSomeGuy1

JustSomeGuy1, Mar 25, 2007
  19. huey85

redecs

@mathewsmt

Sorry for the delay...

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 (aka E1505), with Intel Core 2 Duo and Dell 1390 Wireless mini-card (Broadcom based).

I don't have a link for the Broadcom driver, but it's supplyed by Windows Update.

redecs, Mar 27, 2007
  20. huey85

mdesarno

I've been having the same problems for the last several weeks. Every Monday night I play World of Warcraft on my Dell Inspiron E1705, using an Intel 3945 wifi through a D-Link DGL-4300 wireless router. I have been getting kicked off of my connection about once every hour to hour and a half each "game night" since I switched over to Vista. The problem is exactly like others mentioned, you can't get the connection back until you restart the machine, and even then it takesseveral agonizingminutes to reconnect. It's been driving me crazy and I want it fixed, I like Vista a lot and don't want to go back.

After reading this thread this week, I tried the following suggested changes:

1. Turned SPI off on the router

2. Downloaded the new Intel 3945 driver someone mentioned [actually tried to get XP drivers but Vista kept automatically loading other drivers, so gave up on that and used the new ones from Intel from a couple days ago].

I noticed immediately after #2 that my connection registers 5 of 5 signal strength bars. It never had more than 3 with any connection before. Weak connections [like the one I piggy back on from across the street at work] seem even more shaky than before, but are still usable. I left it on overnight on my home network last night andin the morning when I looked at it, the connection was dropped. Tonight I have made the following additional changes also per this thread:

1. I did some pinging with the following packet sizes: 1500, 1472 and 1432. I noticed no packet loss, but I did notice that the 1472 size ping had a much faster average speed. Don't know if it was coincidental or not and was too lazy to do more pinging to find out. Did not make any MTU changes yet.

2. Disabled the Teredo Pseudo-Tunneling Device in the Device Manager under Network Adapters [to see this, must check Show Hidden Devices up top under View in the Menu Bar].

3. In the properties for the wireless connection, disabled IPv6 by unchecking it and applying the change. Interestingly, my connection immediately dropped upon making this change in exactly the same manner as the annoying wireless drops I'm trying to fix. It did not drop the connection a minute or two earlier, when disabling the Teredo Tunneling Device driver. A restart restored my connection.

The Windows Firewall is still set to ON.

Seems to me that the common factor here is that most of the users experiencing this problem have the Intel 3945 adapter and Vista. The router does not seem to matter. Paging through the thread, the others seem to have many different routers. This problem never happened using the same wifi card and router, until I put Vista on the laptop.

I'll leave it on tonight and see if the connection drops or not.

mdesarno, Mar 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question