Wireless Connection problem - constant drop outs (Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless NIC)

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by huey85, Feb 13, 2007.

1. huey85

rotchcrocket04

Hey man!

Yeah, I do agree... everything you have said is exactly the same problem I'm having to the T.

The hardware I'm using is the Netgear Cable Modem Gateway model number CG814WG. Since this was provided by my ISP the only firmware you can DL must be through the ISP. Comcast has it listed in their driver list and I DLed it and went to install... although it turns out its the same firmware version I am currently using.

Since I disabled the Pseudo Tunneling Interface should I still leave the other settings alone? Such as: In Device Manager, after View All Hidden Devices, there is a WAN MiniPort (IPv6) does that have anything to do with it? Also, in Wireless Network Connection Properties there is the option to choose which following items the Connection uses... is it okay if Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) is still checked?

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this IPv6 thing...

Regardless, I agree with you 100%. Vista has been extremely satisfying the more I use it. I'm finally getting a feel of where to go and how to do things (quickly as if it were XP) and I'm beginning to really enjoy it. Although, these Wireless issues are enough to make me say the hell with it.

rotchcrocket04, Feb 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. huey85

Antrax

Hi guys,

Well, tried to install the usb wireless receiver today to see what I got and guess what?

No drivers for vista yet! LOL. so unfortunatley I cant recreate the problem just yet. I will keep searching for a solution though, so keep your thoughts and ideas coming guys. :D There's a hell of alot of data about this problem on the net, but nothing definitive on a fix.....

Antrax, Feb 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. huey85

rotchcrocket04

Well this has become my goal as of late... I don't plan on giving up until I can have it fixed. It sure is making me mad though. I don't want to transfer my data and files until I'm sure everything is working 100% and I'm really starting to get anxious.

Any new information or thoughts I'll be sure to let everyone know!! Thanks for the help guys!

rotchcrocket04, Feb 22, 2007
  4. huey85

Sucka

One thing i didn't try, why don't you try and set your IP info manually? Maybe Vista is having a problem connecting with the dhcp server?

Sucka, Feb 22, 2007
  5. huey85

pattyah

I pretty much had all the same issues, tried a bunch of crap and resorted to calling Dell (brand new Inspiron 6400 factory loaded with Vista).

Wifi would randomly stop working, and go to "local only", and sometimes back to "local and internet" but it wasn't really connecting to the internet. XP laptops running fine the whole time on the same network. Then at random it would start working again. Rebooting the laptop, or resetting the modem or router had little effect; I simply would have to wait for it.

An hour and 20 min on the phone with dell. They had me download the XP driver for my wifi card (Dell 1390 WlAN mini-card). So I got it in the driver area of Dell's site, but I had to select XP over Vista. The tech support admitted that Vista was riddled with wifi issues - thanks for the news flash!

That was two days ago and I haven't disconnected since. I think it did the trick.

So if you have vista issues, whatever your system has - try the XP driver for it.

Good luck.

pattyah, Feb 23, 2007
  6. huey85

rotchcrocket04

Hmm.. thats quite interesting news. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Sucka... have you swapped out the router with the other one? Any disconnects lately?

I have to try to set the IP settings manually (although work and school makes any time on Vista difficult) if that doesn't work maybe I'll give the Driver option a try. Also, a friend of mine told me Staples is having a sale on routers (Netgear) for like $20 or $30... maybe I'll use this as the 3rd resort.

rotchcrocket04, Feb 23, 2007
  7. huey85

Sucka

No, haven't had any drops as of late. I even swapped back to my WRT54GS v1 today and been online all day, yay! Yes i had been using a WRT54G v6 for the last week, and at first, it was dropping but less than the GS, now neither are dropping. Not sure if it was something freak, but ever since disabling that psuedo device i've been good to go.

I'm using the latest drivers from Intel directly for my Intel 3945ABG, 10.6.0.46 dated 1/24/2007. They appear to be the same for every version of Vista both 32 and 64bit. I don't see how trying XP drivers can hurt, it just may work.

As for the previous post, i'm not sure i would go as far as to say Vista is riddled with problems. I would put most of the blame on the mfg's for taking the 1+ year long beta testing and pissing it away by not releasing drivers, or making sure they work. It's not the job of Microsoft to release drivers and worry about compatibility issues, that's why they have beta testing leading up to the release. If anything, Dell should take partial blame for not having suitable drivers to preload their computers with. All these problems that i've had being on my "Vista ready" dell E1405 i'm more upset with Dell and Intel than i am with Microsoft.

Sucka, Feb 23, 2007
  8. huey85

jpmoff

I would like to confirm that I was having the same issues.. Came across this thread from a google search. Disabled the Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface which kept me from dropping when say installing and downloading updates from Steam and some other apps.. So far it's only been a few minutes but the problem i was having has disappeared *knocks on wood*

jpmoff, Feb 25, 2007
  9. huey85

rotchcrocket04

Well I must admit that today proved to be a very productive day. :)

All the snow here (Pennsylvania) gave me a reason to stay inside and play with Vista some more!! I was going to set my IP settings manually although I wanted to try the WiFi card driver for XP first. I couldn't stay on the internet long enough to get to the site and download the proper version, yes, it kicked me off that quickly. So I booted into XP, downloaded the newest XP driver for my WiFi card and installed it on Vista. I'm going on about 2 hours now without getting kicked off. I continued heavy usage on the internet and haven't had a drop yet!!

Before, there were different sites (usually sites that needed to load a lot of separate objects) that would always drop the connection for me. Those were the sites I always used to test the connection... I surfed through those sites for about 30 minutes continuously and still all is good! I'm thoroughly excited about this and I can finally relax and sit back and enjoy Vista fully.

One more question I have though. I'm running a dual boot with XP. Is it possible to transfer all my data from XP to Vista, then format the XP partition using Partition Magic, then extend my Vista partition to span the entire size of the drive? Or do you guys think it would be a better idea to simply backup my data to my external, format the entire drive and then reinstall Vista cleanly across my drive?

Keep in mind, I haven't made hardly any changes to Vista. I simply created this small partition to test Vista out before I do a clean install (which proved to be a very good idea).

Thank you guys for all the help and effort you've put into this. One other thing I did do was disable IPv6 from being used in the Properties window for my Wireless Internet Connection. Whether or not this proved to be useful, I don't know. :satisfied:

rotchcrocket04, Feb 25, 2007
  10. huey85

jpmoff

Okay nevermind on my post.. had it going then it dropped.. going to find an xp driver that works now..

Update

Installed a XP driver and everything seems okay now. Did that and still have that tunneler off

jpmoff, Feb 25, 2007
  11. huey85

Sucka

I'm happy to report no drops in the last several days. I returned my WRT54G v6 router today and got my $54 bucks back :D I was worried i was going to have to keep it because drops were less frequent on that router, but turns out my current router is handling it fine.

Either i had some freaky interference right after i installed Vista that has since gone away, or the ip6 was the ultimate issue. Either way, i'm ready to put MY problem to rest.

What about everyone else? I have been keeping up on all Vista forums looking for network related problems, but this is still the best source for the random drop issue.

What's the current status of everyone else?

Sucka, Mar 1, 2007
  12. huey85

Wizzman

Ahh, finally i found more people with the same problem as me :)

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, with an integrated wireless card (Dell TrueMobile 1350, but Vista Recognizes it as a Broadcom adapter, so i guess they are making it for dell).

I'm having the exact same problem as you guys. I have tried the driver Vista automaticly installs, and Dell´s driver (which they say works under Vista 32-Bit), i´ve set the IP Manually (i always do that in order to ensure that the different computers on the network always gets the same IP-adress, so that my port forwarding settings in the router will be correct at all times), but i still get the same problem.

Sometimes it works for hours, sometimes it disconnects (By that i mean that it goes to "Local only") after a few minutes. It always disconnects if i leave it on over night. I have made sure that the power settings are set to "Max performance" (they were correct from the beginning). One thing that i have noticed, is that it _always_ disconnects when i try to transfer more that a few megabytes from another computer on the network, over the microsoft file sharing (Start / Run and entering \\Ip-adress\ )

My router is a 3Com 3CRWE154G72-A and the wireless works PERFECTLY on my other computers, running Windows 2000 Professional, they never disconnect, even with the vista-computer running wireless at the same time.

I have disabled the windows firewall, and tried to disable the encryption on the router, but it wont help (Normally running 128Bit WEP).

However, i just disabled the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, and i really hope that will do the trick! Thanks for the information guys :)

Wizzman, Mar 3, 2007
  13. huey85

Wizzman

Still getting disconnected, at least when i try to transfer files with Windows File Sharing... :-(

Wizzman, Mar 3, 2007
  14. huey85

Wizzman

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930517/en-us

This sounds pretty interesting...

I´ve tried a little more today, and it will also disconnect when i try to transfer large files over MSN Messenger (even if it´s only over the LAN).

After about 150-200Mb it will disconnect, and the only thing that will fix this is a reboot.

Wizzman, Mar 3, 2007
  15. huey85

Vester

See MSBBN: Wireless network connection drops every few minutes, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814123

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Vester, Mar 3, 2007
  16. huey85

Wizzman

Thanks, but that was already set to No authentication (Open) by Default on my Vista-installation :-(

Wizzman, Mar 4, 2007
  17. huey85

cyclic

Why would anyone create an open network surely I'm not the only one who be concerened about security, to say nothing of allowing anyone in the area to connect and use your bandwidth allowance, technically it's not theft since you are broadcasting a 'public' ID tag and you have no way of finding out who might be connecting.

I would never have an insecure connection if you do expect problems.

cyclic, Mar 6, 2007
  18. huey85

Wizzman

My WLAN isnt "open"... I do broadcast the SSID, but i am using Encryption (128Bit WEP), just no authentication whatever that is??

I have also set my router / wireless AP to accept only the MAC-adresses of my 4 wlan-cards.

Wizzman, Mar 6, 2007
  19. huey85

JustSomeGuy1

I can confirm this I have the exact problem with my Intel3945ABG using their latest drivers (10.6.0.46/9.1.0.115 1/24/2007) Except my router is a US Robotics USR8054. Using the wireless network widget i never get above 4 bars stuck at 60% or lower and in the task bar windows network never gets above 3 bars.

Hopefully these problems are also somehow linked to my azureus "Too many successive failures" error.

JustSomeGuy1, Mar 7, 2007
  20. huey85

najten

Hello All,

I too have the exact same problem. Tonight I will try all the methods mentioned in this thread which by the way is very thorough. I use a DLink DWL-G122 USB Wireless G Adaptor and have 100% exactly the same problems mentioned here.

I have already d/l the XP drivers for my card and will also try to disable the routers firewall as other have suggested and will post my results.

Once again well done on a really useful thread.

Nathan:D

najten, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question