Wireless Connection problem - constant drop outs (Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless NIC)

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by huey85, Feb 13, 2007.

1. huey85

Antrax

into linksys config pages - wireless - Advanced wireless settings, you'll find beacon ect here.

You'll find MTU size in - setup - basic setup.

to see if your losing fragmented packets type = ping www.yahoo.com -l 1500

see if it fails with fragments. If it does then work your way down, ie , 1472 , 1432 ect.

Usually you start from 1500 and work your way down to aroung 1400 until fragmenting stops then you set your MTU to the number you dont fragment at.

that make ant sense? LOL...too much JD tonight. :D

prolly going right down the WRONG route here, but hey, we learn summit new....

Antrax, Feb 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. huey85

Sucka

So when i ping the site, am i just looking for lost packets? I'm not sure how that works seeing as though my internet is fine when i'm connected (no packet loss) and 100% packet loss when i'm not connected. Maybe i'm not understanding "fragmented"?

Sucka, Feb 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. huey85

Antrax

no loss means your fine, and you will get 100% loss not connected.

as I said gone down the wrong route here lol. lets see what leaving the vista machine does..

gotta go now, will pick this up again tomorrow friend. ;)

Antrax, Feb 17, 2007
  4. huey85

Sucka

Check that, just read it wrong first time through.

Seems you know your MTU, 100% loss at anything over 1472.

So now that i've made the changes, what does this mean exactly? Does any of this have anything to do with my problem.....lol

Thanks for the help, i'll check back tomorrow.

Sucka, Feb 17, 2007
  5. huey85

Antrax

No it does not seem to be anything to do with your problem ( too much drinking last night ):crazy:

How did you get on with leaving the vista machine off, did it make any difference?

Antrax, Feb 18, 2007
  6. huey85

aaron.71

Hi all. Newbie here, please be kind...ish.

I also have a wirelessconnectivity issue with my laptop.

Recently converted from desktop to laptop. It's a Advent intel celeron M430 1.73GHz 1024 MB, don't know what other details you need. Oh...running vista premium home. Which is so cool.

The problems I have are as follows, When I switch the lappy on sometimes it find the connection and is ok...for a bit, then drops out for no reason and then for some reason cannot find any wireless networks. I'm using the BT Homehub router using SSID, WEP.... It uses wireless LAN b/g and uses g, yetin the status window it shows 11Mbps instead of 54Mbps.

Once the connection drops I plug in the USB Asus wireless adapter, it then finds the network, connects automatically and then have no problems at all after that.

Know I can't have a wireless lappy with a USB network adapter plugged in, it's not cool.

Any ideas on the problem and how to fix it? I'm not to bad with computers butcertainly not crack hot on them, soany advice would need to be in laymans terms please.

Thank you so much in advance.:)

aaron.71, Feb 20, 2007
  7. huey85

Antrax

Probably be easier for you to open the network connection propertiesbox for the USB Asus wireless adapter and copy the settings to your built in adapter, if that makes sense to you?

@Sucka... Any update on your problem mate?

Antrax, Feb 20, 2007
  8. huey85

Sucka

Update on my problem:

Going into device manager, and entering show all devices, i disabled "teredo tunneling pseudo" device which apparently has something to do with ip6. I figured i would try that first since i found a few ways to disable ip6 and this seemed easiest. Well anyways, no drops for 16 straight hours now. I ran all the changed settings on my router for a day, and the drops continued at random times. I'm not about to say this problem is cured after 16 hours of uptime, but this is promising so far.

I also came accross some info on SPI (stateful packet inspection) that stated that routers supporting this can cause network problems within Vista. Digging a little further into that, my router does support that, and one of the symptoms can be network drops. While an interesting find, i'm not sure this has anything to do with my situation because i would think a lot more people would be having this issue than i've come accross.

I've now come accross several people who are complaining that their wireless strength never goes above "good" even when sitting next to their router. When using a wifi sidebar gadget, it will also never go above 60% strength. I'm gonna look more into this now, but the one person i've been able to find out their networking gear had the same setup as me. Intel 3945ABG and Linksys WRT54G, hoping to get some others to chime in on that.

So really i'm still in a holding pattern. For now 16 hours without a drop is a huge step in the right direction. Even if i dropped now, i would still leave the setup in its current state to see how long before another one occurs. At this point, i would be happy with 8+ hours of uptime at a time....lol

Sucka, Feb 20, 2007
  9. huey85

Antrax

Glad to see your getting somewhere mate. I havent got a Vista laptop unfortunatley, current one has XP and is still under warranty and the damn things in the shop at the mo anyway lol. I have got a wireless receiver somewhere tho, so I might dig it out and see what I get. Ive got the WRTG54 too.

will keep this post updated, as long as the mods are ok with it growing exponentialy! :hehe:

Antrax, Feb 20, 2007
  10. huey85

Sucka

Yeah this thread has some good info in it if people with the same problem are searching. I have troubleshot the crap out of this problem, so maybe if i figure it out i can save someone the headache. I have found 2-3 posts around the web of similiar issues, but given my hardware (being extremely common) i would expect this problem to be widespread. That fact just adds to my bewilderment. One thing is for sure, i won't be giving up on this anytime soon. I'm not the type of user who could let something like this go....lol

Sucka, Feb 20, 2007
  11. huey85

ghostparty

I have a different router but the same Intel wireless that everyone has been reporting problems with, maybe someone should forward this to intel?

ghostparty, Feb 20, 2007
  12. huey85

Antrax

Have a look herefor a bit more info on this. Seems to be more related to routers and their firewalls it seems.

Antrax, Feb 20, 2007
  13. huey85

Sucka

That certainly would backup what i said about SPI in my earlier post. In a nutshell, that's what i had found. It actually makes a lot of sense now, because my WRT54GS (mentioned there) was having an insane number of drops. I replaced it with a v6 WRT54G and it was still happening, but with far less frequency. This reaffirms that we might be on the right track with this SPI thing. As i said though, it seems to me thousands of people would be reporting this problem rather than just me and a few others...

Edit: I also don't see how/where to disable SPI on the router config page, can you advise?

Sucka, Feb 20, 2007
  14. huey85

Antrax

Hi, sucka.

The built in firewall is an SPI firewall. You would have to disable that, making sure you have another firewall in place.

Antrax, Feb 21, 2007
  15. huey85

rotchcrocket04

Hi Sucka! ...and others :)

I would first like to fill you in, briefly, on my situation.

I am running Vista Business on a Dual Boot with XPSP2 on my laptop. 1.4ghz Processor 1gb RAM terrible graphics card and so on. Haha! The laptop is about 2.5 years old. It is definitely on the line of being able to run Vista smoothly.

Needless to say, I was experiencing the exact same problems as you described. I could get online without a problem. At random times it would start to drop the wireless network and become almost impossible to get back on without restarting the machine. I talked around and everyone seemed to think it was hardware incompatibility. My XP boot works 100% perfect... never dropping the connection. I'm currently using a Netgear router that was supplied by my ISP (Comcast).

I tried almost everything I could possibly think of, including a clean install again, but still had no luck. I read these 4 pages about your problem and I was amazed I finally found someone that didn't say it was the Power Saving option or an incompatible router.

About an hour ago I logged into the router and disabled the router's built-in Firewall. I'm now running my own Firewall and I also disabled the "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface". I haven't had it drop yet (which it usually drops within the first few hours... never had the connection last longer than 2 hours).

I'm hoping it will still be running fine by tomorrow morning. I'm also curious to know why you disabled IPv6 functions? What exactly is the reasoning behind this? I understand why the SPI *could* be causing the problem... but whats wrong with IPv6?

Thanks for the ongoing support and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. I do agree with you though, since it is a relatively common thing with routers (SPI) why aren't there thousands of people calling out to Microsoft about this problem??

-Brandon

rotchcrocket04, Feb 22, 2007
  16. huey85

rotchcrocket04

Before I go to bed, wanted to let you guys know that the SPI test didn't work. I surfed the web fine (including running AIM Pro) and everything worked fine until I demanded a little bit out of it. When I went to YouTube and started to stream a video it immediately dropped the connection.

I had to restart my laptop and router in order to get back on. :angry:

Back to square one...

17. huey85

Sucka

Interesting, at least this way we can have 2 people working at it :)

I went 2 days without a drop on 32bit Vista when disabling the psuedo service. Don't know why ip6 has issues, i just read that it did. Not going consider it solved, but that was a huge step in the right direction.

I'll keep you updated if i come accross anything and please do the same.

Sucka, Feb 22, 2007
  18. huey85

Sucka

I assumed so, was just checking. Not sure i want to disable my firewall, think i'll hold off on that.

Sucka, Feb 22, 2007
  19. huey85

rotchcrocket04

Is that the only thing you disabled to completely disable IP6?

Basically, did you go elsewhere to stop IP6? Like I said, I disabled the Pseudo service also... although still dropped.

I'm sitting in my Wireless class now and was talking to my teacher. He was saying he would personally try swapping the router to check that issue. He didn't really have much more to suggest though?! Why does it seem like this is some ridiculous extravagant problem?? Haha!

20. huey85

Sucka

Yeah, reading around there was 3 ways to disable ip6 that i found and that seemed to be the easiest. There is a registry method i would think is worth a try. It sounds like we're having the exact same problem, which like you said is so odd. I can just imagine thousands upon thousands of people owning similiar hardware?? I guess just not enough people on Vista, and caring about the drops. Exactly what version router are you using? I'm gonna hook up my WRT54GS v1 today (the one mentioned as being problematic) and see if it still drops with ip6 disabled. After my reboot last night, i have 9 hours straight uptime again, so whatever magically happened i'm happy to say the least. I could deal with a drop every now and again, that's just to be expected on wireless, but not randomly, and every 2 minutes at times...

Trust me, i feel your frustration bro. I was tearing my hair out looking for answers, and trouble shooting this crap. I'm still trying to figure out why in the world i can't get above "good" strength with 3 bars, and 60% reported by the gadget. I've found enough people with that problem to track it down to a Vista/Intel card thing. Maybe if we can just stick it out and wait for driver/OS updates, as crappy as that is...

It's really a shame too, without this problem Vista would be almost perfect for me. I can remember previous OS's being a nightmare, but for the first time i had drivers available before release, and no software issues. This g'damn wireless thing though is enough to make ya hate Vista....lol

Sucka, Feb 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question