Wireless connection Local Only, but not really? please help

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by KitsuneJM, Jul 8, 2008.

1. KitsuneJM

KitsuneJM

Hello, a couple of days ago i downloaded and installed the automatic update for Skype to Skype 3.8. For the first time Skype could not connect. Skype tech support had me temporarily enable telnet to test port 80 and another typical skype port. Prior, they had me remove skype and all skype registry keys. Then I installed a internet explorer add on that allows for searching for words while typing similar to firefox. I was watching streaming video and the computer froze up. so i shut it down and restarted, only to have the internet connection go full, then drop to "local only" I examined the hardware and none of the devices are having problems. So i tried resetting the router, updating router firmware, resetting TCP/IP settings, probably every solution i could find for this sudden problem. I did notice when the this first was starting i had usb adaptor driver problems, but that is reinstalled now too, i even reinstalled network drivers and checked for updates just in case. But I'm out of solutions now and I need help.

I will add that I can connect to Windows Live Messenger, Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client, QQ messenger, Google Talk, and now after putting the newer skype beta i can connect to skype. but for some reason i cannot browse the web, and cannot connect to yahoo or windows update server. The Vista computer seems to think it is a local only connection, but it seems it really isn't, but maybe having difficulty accessing ports. I am wondering if this can be a missing file problem or registry issue.

I want to also add that I can ping yahoo.com. Also, i can connect to http://www.k9webprotection.com in my browser. I've made sure it wasn't the filter causing the issue. i have tried disabling the antivirus, and i've made sure there was no firewall up.

I don't want to do a repair install of windows if not necessary.

The vista system is a Sony Vaio VGN-FE890 with Windows Vista Business.

Please help me!

KitsuneJM, Jul 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. KitsuneJM

WAW8

IE 7 addons are infamous for causing networking problems. In our general technical forum, there's a pinned post with instructions on things that can be done to repair IE 7. Suggest you try them and see if any of them help.

WAW8, Jul 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question