Wireless and Wired NIC issue

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Paradoxx, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Paradoxx

Paradoxx

Hi everyone, Im from Guatemala, Central America. Recently some of my friends are having problems with some updates for the NIC's. Some of them performed some changes on the auto sensing and others just didn't worked at all. My own problem was with my wireless of my gateway MT3705, I installed the updates for it and after restarting the lappy it just didn't connected anymore to my AP, I've fixed it, but it shouldn't be like that.

Do you people know about something regarding this matter?? Comments, known issues.anything?

Regards from guatemala.

Paradoxx, Oct 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Paradoxx

kingofnexus

Wirelesswith vista seems to have issues. This is probably down to poor drivers. Also sometimes windows update detects the wrong hardware and so wants to download and install drivers incorrect for the hardware device, which could be in this case the NIC.

kingofnexus, Oct 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Paradoxx

WAW8

Would be nice to know what you did to "fix" it. Also, how exactly it got "broken". I've had windows update break things on my system -- to the degree that I do a backup before any driver updates.

WAW8, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Paradoxx

Paradoxx

Ok, this is it. Im running this:

Intel T2060

Sigma Tel High Definition Audio

Ati Radeon Xpress 200m

MArvell Yukon 88E8038 fast ethernet

Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g

Windows Vista Basic 32bits

Before I had this Wifi issue, I've installed Unbuntu Feisty Fawn and I had to do somethings with Vista's disk manager and I disabled the restore options. Got ubuntu installed and everything worked fine.

When I booted Vista, I've got a message that new updates where available. I tried to dismiss the Ati drivers because I felt those were the ones that could cause me some trouble, and installed the marvell, realtek and Ati drivers. After rebooting I couldn't log to my AP because of "something" was wrong with my network. I didn't remembered that I had the restore options off and darn! Let's go the long way. With my copper NIC still working, no issues with this one, I downloaded the drivers from gateway site for my Wifi NIC.

I removed the updated one and simply reinstall the one with the new drivers downloaded from gateway.

The file I downloaded was VIWLAN.exe - Wireless Network Driver version: Intel 10.6.0.46

I tried the version 11 and didn't worked.

Paradoxx, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Paradoxx

WAW8

Yep -- looks like you got bitten by the Windows Update bug.

When it bit me, it trashed all the Windows partitions on my hard drive -- due to an IDE/SATA "update" that wasn't really an update. Only reason it didn't trash my Ubuntu partitions is probably because it couldn't make sense of the Ext3 filesystems.

So, as I said earlier, I now run a full image backup of my windows partitions using Acronis True Image before I do any driver updates that could damage the partitions.

In your case, you should have been able to rollback the WiFi driver to the previous version that worked. Driver rollback is supposed to work even if you turn off system restore.

WAW8, Oct 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question