WinXP 32 upgrade to Win Vista or Win 7

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by any1have1, Feb 15, 2009.

1. any1have1

any1have1

I am currently running a WinXP 32 computer.

I would like to upgrade my computer - a friend said he could upgrade my hardware to an Intel 64 duo core.

Now, this mean I can run a 64 OS like Vista or the new Win7.

Or, I could keep running Win XP 32.

Running Win Vista 64 or Win 7 64 - will I see a big performance improvement vs. the 32 bit versions?

Is Win 7 better than Vista?

any1have1, Feb 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. any1have1

WAW8

Doubt that you will see any real performance improvement of 64-bit over 32-bit. 32-bit only uses a bit over 3GiB of memory; 64-bit can use a LOT more. Also, not ALL of the 32-bit apps are available in 64-bit. Suggest you check on those apps you want to use to be sure there are 64-bit Vista versions available. And, before you ask, you can NOT upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit after you have installed the 32-bit version.

As to Windows 7, there is currently NO upgrade path planned from XP. The "upgrade" mentioned by MS is for the license price only -- it will require a "clean install". The Beta does not support upgrading from XP; it requires Vista SP1 for an upgrade. Also, it is only currently in Beta, is not legally available anymore, and the Beta expires in August. So, it's really NOT an option for a new machine.

Finally, there have been reports that system vendors shipping new Vista machines after July 1st will be allowing Seven upgrades for free. So, if you think of getting a new machine, would check out the vendor and wait until after July 1st.

WAW8, Feb 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question