WinTV-PVR-500 doesn't work for me in Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by coolclayton, Oct 30, 2008.

1. coolclayton

coolclayton

I used to use an old Windows XP computer I built as my media center. I recently built a new computer and transferred the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 from the old XP computer to the new Vista 64-bit computer. I can get it working, but it doesn't seem to work consistently every time I restart. Sometimes it works great, but most of the time, it will stutter and jump like crazy. Sometimes it doesn't stutter much at all... but it is still annoying enough that I cannot watch it. It is a dual-tuner PVR, so sometimes one of the tuners works, but one doesn't, or both work, or neither work. It seems to be completely random. I have tried multiple solutions but I cannot seem to pinpoint the problem. Hauppauge says that the TV Tuner is Vista 64 compatible... so I can't figure out what the problem is. I don't know if it is a 64 bit problem, a Vista problem, a codec problem, or something completely different.

I am currently running Vista 64 bit on an Intel 9450 Quad Core processor with 4 GB ram. I have tried multiple codec packages, but I am currently running K-Lite Codec Pack 64 bit.

If anyone has any advice, PLEASE help me... this is driving me mad. The tv tuner worked perfectly on my old XP computer, and if Hauppauge is telling me that it will work with Vista, I can't see what I am doing wrong.

coolclayton, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. coolclayton

WAW8

Stuttering is most likely to be either an underpowered PC, bad drivers, or improper codec -- but -- your computer specs are more than adequate and the Vista version you have comes with an MPEG-2 codec built in, and you've already grabbed a reasonable codec pack. Basically, you've done everything you should.

I went to their site and discovered (1) they don't have a Vista section in their FAQ area, and (2) their instruction PDFs mention XP, not Vista. This doesn't give me confidence that their product really works with Vista -- seeing as how Vista has been out for nearly two years now. That's ample time to write FAQs and to update installation instructions.

I'd call "them" back and have them walk you through debugging the installation of the product. If it really does work in Vista, they should be willing to help you get it working.

WAW8, Oct 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. coolclayton

coolclayton

Thanks, I've sent Hauppauge an email hoping that they can figure things out. I'm usually not very quick to send an email to a manufacturer, as I usually either get a form letter back or some generic response, or nothing at all. Hopefully they can help me work it out.

Thanks for your help

If anyone else has encountered a problem like this, please let me know how you fixed it. From what I've seen, it seems to be a common Vista problem, but there are 101 different sources of the problem and 101 different solutions

coolclayton, Nov 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question