winload.exe corrupt or missing without a vista installation disc

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by thommo282, Aug 12, 2008.

1. thommo282

thommo282

i was trying to do a system restore when my laptop crashed and i now get a message saying winload.exe corrupt or missing and i wasn't given a vista installation disc at purchase and my backup discs dont work what shall i do?

thommo282, Aug 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. thommo282

WAW8

You said your backup disks don't work. What does that mean? Some details would help.

To restore Vista, you will need (1) something to boot from, and (2) something to repair Vista with once you've booted. You can do both with a Vista DVD -- but you already said you don't have that.

If you can locate (online) or otherwise download and burn a WinPE disk, you might be able to boot with that -- at least to then see what files are still accessible.

If you could borrow a Vista DVD from someone, you could boot into a command prompt, and then run "sfc /scannow" to attempt to restore your Vista system files.

But, with no backups, no restore, and no Vista or WinPE media, your only recourse would be to have the system restored by the provider.

WAW8, Aug 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question