Windows XP still more popular than Windows 7 or Vista

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by gremlin, Apr 26, 2011.

1. gremlin

gremlin

Ten years after it was introduced, Windows XP is still the most popular computer operating system, according to figures from Net Applications. About 54 percent of PCs are still running XP, while about 24 percent are on Microsoft's 18-month-old Windows 7 system. Just 10 percent are using Vista, the system Microsoft launched and quickly shelved in between XP and Windows 7.

While many computer users—especially those on netbooks or older PCs—may prefer to stick with XP, users of earlier versions of Windows should check to make sure their security settings are up-to-date. Microsoft stopped issuing security updates for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 last July, and will stop supporting the more recent Service Pack 3 in April 2014. If you're still running a version of Windows XP with Service Pack 2, you should install Service Pack 3, which is available as a free upgrade from Microsoft.

Newer versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser, with enhanced security and anti-tracking features, will only work with Windows 7, though Mozilla Firefox's latest edition, with similar features, works with XP.

Watch this space for our upcoming State of the Net report, detailing the latest in computer and internet security trends.

What do you think, I think Vista was more popular nowdays.....

gremlin, Apr 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. gremlin

Toshiba

Is windows 7 any good tho?

Toshiba, Jun 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. gremlin

WAW8

Actually, it's a LOT better than Vista ... but this is a Vista forum ... so let's not start an off-topic thread about a new OS. OK?

WAW8, Jun 6, 2011
  4. gremlin

tecfobe

That is the reason I changed to Vista,the chap in the (used) pc shop said XP will be wide open to attack because of no browser or update renewal and,try and sell an older laptop on XP "oh we wanted w7" yes so would I for 125 pounds with laptop.
    I recently bought one of those xp 8 in one cds with licence for £35 pounds saved a fortune on reloads--best try and move it on whilst I can!

tecfobe, Jul 3, 2011
  5. gremlin

WAW8

tecfobe: Not seeing the 8-in-one CD, I have no idea if it's legitimate -- but generally, such things are NOT -- even though you pay money for them.

If it's not a genuine Microsoft CD (with the holograms and the hub decorations), then it's likely that someone "stole" an MSDN/Technet version and is reselling it.

While it MIGHT work, Microsoft does a pretty good job of hunting down and deactivating such "pirate" copies. So, don't be surprised if it does not Activate when you use it.

WAW8, Jul 4, 2011
  6. gremlin

tecfobe

8 in one xp disc

No it works and registers fine and was from computer shop it must go back a way though because it is sp1 and has windows 98 and all sorts of technical stuff like partioning and lots more which I dont understand I probably paid 5 ver for disc and 30 for licence but I have used it on other pc's and used their keys and they all register and validate so must be official?

tecfobe, Jul 5, 2011
  7. gremlin

okayo0

The company I work still uses XP, and there's several reasons why.

The majority of employees in the organisation are literate with XP, and a jump to W7 or other would be detrimental.
    The time it would take to train staff up (range of computer literacy skills) would be time consuming, and expensive.
    The cost of transforming the IT service to W7 (poster specific) would be phenomenal and I mean phenomenal

okayo0, Nov 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question