Windows won't boot after installing a new graphics card...

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Messiah, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Messiah

Messiah

As you can tell I'm new here, and this is my first post! :D

Well, I got a new graphics card, a nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB PCI Card.

I tried to install it my self, it didn't work out to well... I know a guy who knows everything about that stuff, so I got him to do it for me, and he had it up and running (Fixed tons of other problems also) in about an hour and a half. It booted fine, and very fast over at his house. When I brought it home and hooked it to my LCD TV (My monitor fried itself :crazy: ), Windows was booting fine, then when it got done loading I got a black screen, no mouse or anything, and my computer shut off. I tried it again, same thing over and over. I can boot into safe mode though. But when I do my computer seems a little buggy, because it freezes up when I do some things, or some things just don't even work.

*I would call my friend and find out whats going on, but he went out of town for a couple of days, and I need this working as soon as possible*

Whats possibly going wrong here? How can I get into regular mode without it messing up?

Messiah, Mar 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Messiah

WAW8

Oh, oh. This is not good news.

Probably because he had it hooked up to a computer monitor/flat panel. LCD TV is not a computer monitor; it's a TV.

You could boot into safe mode, remove the video drivers and reboot. Vista should find the new display device and load drivers for it.

IF that doesn't work, you'll need to do Plan B: borrow the monitor/flat panel from your "friend", hook it up as the default display. Need to do that to confirm that your machine still works OK (after the "tons of problems" he "fixed"). If your video card has two output jack, you can plugin the LCD TV to the second jack and experiment with settings until you get something that works.

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Messiah

Tinman

he could just shut down puter, take the vid card out and reseat it. on reboot it should say found new hardware and it will install the drivers then. it may have got jostled when he took it home. vid cards are pretty heavy nowadays...

Tinman, Mar 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question