Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by pdsnickles, Mar 26, 2009.

1. pdsnickles

pdsnickles

I downloaded and ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor on my XP SP2 and it started a scan to determine the answer and it's been going for about 15-20 min. already. I think I should assume it is not working, right? Seems a long time. I only have a 50 gig hd and not THAT much software/hardware...

pdsnickles, Mar 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. pdsnickles

WAW8

I don't remember it taking that long when I ran it -- but it's been over two years now.

What I do remember is that it was all but useless. I STILL had to upgrade virtually every program I had to get it to run properly in Vista, and my soundcard didn't work at all.

It's really too bad that MS Windows won't adopt the long-standing LiveCD approach of the Linux community where you can boot from CD/DVD and run the OS in memory -- primarily to see how good a job it does of detecting your hardware and loading the right drivers. Given all the money they're spending on Seven making it "prettier and prettier", they would do better spending their money on this alternative.

WAW8, Mar 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question