windows vista ultimate hanging

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by thebigguy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. thebigguy

thebigguy

Hi i am new here but fairly well knowledge with pcs but i am having a problem where the clean install of windows vista ultimate 64bit is hanging on the expanding files (0%)

My pc spec is

asus m2n-sli dlx nf570

amd athlon 64 x2 dual 6400+

4gb pc2 6400 ddr2 ram

BFG geforce 8800 gt 512mb

500gb sata2 hard drive

thebigguy, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. thebigguy

thebigguy

I reset the cmos and now its hanging at 8% now. This is getting annoying :(

thebigguy, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. thebigguy

WAW8

I have an ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe, and in checking the ASUS forums for my machine, found several posts where folks discovered that Vista would not install with more than 2GB of memory loaded. Once the install was done, they inserted the remainder of their memory and it booted OK.

But, there's some settings in memory mapping that need to be adjusted as well.

Would advise you check the ASUS forums for mobo-specific details.

Their URL is [url]http://vip.asus.com/forum/ [/url]

WAW8, Mar 3, 2008
  4. thebigguy

thebigguy

I have got it to 10% and could it be the actual disc that is the problem??

thebigguy, Mar 4, 2008
  5. thebigguy

thebigguy

Okie i have got vista fully installed but i did it without the sata drivers but now it loads and bsod but doesnt stay up long enough for error and restarts. But i did through safemode and it is at crcdisk.sys

Anyinfo?

thebigguy, Mar 4, 2008
  6. thebigguy

WAW8

Did you try the reduced memory suggestion?

Did you go to the ASUS forums and look around?

WAW8, Mar 4, 2008
  7. thebigguy

thebigguy

Lowered it to 2gb and get the same as 4gb. Made sure volts at about 2.1v and set to right timers.

Also i have a sata dvd writer hp dvd1070 20x dvdwriter lightscribe

Lastly this is on the completing installation part after it has restarted.

Edit: I have got it to prepares ffor first time but it is running slow at the moment hope can last long enough to do updates then can put other 2gb in

Edit No2: Yeah i have been on asus forums and nothing that has been said there has helped.

thebigguy, Mar 4, 2008
  8. thebigguy

WAW8

OK.. went to the ASUS forum ... now, I don't feel so bad about my "ancient" ASUS mobo. Lots of posts from folks who's PC runs for a few seconds and then shuts down!

One person said they got theirs to stay up by disabling both onboard USB and onboard Audio. But,as soon as they re-enabled onboard audio, they had problems again.

On my system, there's an option in the BIOS for USB to support legacy (1.1?). Unless I disable that, I get USB problems in device manager.

Don't know what else to suggest. Would have guessed (evidently wrong) that such a new board would have no problems with Vista.

WAW8, Mar 4, 2008
  9. thebigguy

thebigguy

Dont no totally how i fixed it but i am on vista now just doing all windows updates so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help though at least i no some people care:cool:. As i posted on other forums and got nothing from anyone.

thebigguy, Mar 4, 2008
  10. thebigguy

thebigguy

Hopefully the last problem i will have but is there a microsoft update so i can run 4gb off ram as at the moment it chucks me a Blue screen when i put 4gb in

thebigguy, Mar 5, 2008
  11. thebigguy

WAW8

SP 1 is supposed to include a patch that will allow 32-bit Vista to see all 4GB of RAM, not the 3+GB that it sees now. But that's not going to address the BSOD problem you're getting.

If you press F8 when you boot, you will get a menu list that includes memory testing at the bottom. Would suggest you do that with the memory sticks. BSOD is often associated with bad memory.

WAW8, Mar 5, 2008
  12. thebigguy

thebigguy

I have done a memtest from hirens boot cd 9.3 as when i first got the ram they where faulty and got a replacement. It says they are fine with no errors.

It is currently showing 3.5gb off usable memory out off 4gb in the bios and in vista.

I have got the memissue sorted by installing a windows update.

Lastly i have got the most up to date bios(i aint installing the beta version 1404to be on safe side) which is 1302. Volts set to 2.1v timers set to 5-5-5-18-2T and i put the ram in both yellow slots on the mobo which is A1,A2 if i remember rightly. As i am in work at the moment.

Edit: Where do i get SP1 from and also it is a 64bit vistasystem not 32bit

thebigguy, Mar 5, 2008
  13. thebigguy

WAW8

My ASUS mobo provides a utility to update the BIOS called EZ-Update. This allows for saving off the current BIOS to diskette, and loading a new BIOS from diskette. Thus, if a BIOS upgrade produces problems, it's a simple matter to insert the diskette with the saved (working) BIOS, and reload it. Might check to see if yours has the same feature.

Also, some ASUS mobos come with Crash-Free feature that (I think) has a backup copy of the BIOS that can be selected if the current copy has problems. Might check into that, too.

Basically, you don't. It is being pushed out through Windows Update. There are three pieces, the first two of which prepare your machine for the actual update, and have already been pushed out. The actual update should come out in a couple of weeks.

And, yes, it will be for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

WAW8, Mar 5, 2008
  14. thebigguy

thebigguy

I might end up getting another 4gb(total) ram for the other two slots but will see. and bios is up to date by looks and i had forgot to install that software *slaps head*

thebigguy, Mar 6, 2008
  15. thebigguy

Jason

So your going with 8GB's of Ram!??

Jason, Mar 6, 2008
  16. thebigguy

thebigguy

Not right now no but i might end up doing in a year tops depends on prices at the moment with the lowering

thebigguy, Mar 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question