Windows Vista Ultimate - Driver Problem (When Loading Windows)

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by PieManHilmy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. PieManHilmy

PieManHilmy

Hi There!

Everytime i boot up my pc, login into my windows vista account, it will imediatly start reinstalling all my mother board drivers: Sound, ethernet controller, PCI standard bridge to PCI-E and all those. i tried getting the latest drivers for my motherboard but that didnt work, and i also tried reinstalling vista. Also this never happend with my old XP PRO OS.

it has become really anoying waiting for vista to boot up cause it adds minutes to the boot up time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Kr@t0$

PieManHilmy, Jul 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. PieManHilmy

kingofnexus

Very odd, havent heard anything like this before. Only suggestion is something you probably tried before. Log into an account with administrator privalages, and disable user account control in the users section of control panel. Restart the computer and log into this same account and let it install all the drivers for the motherboard. Hopefully this will make them 'stick'.

Other than that I have no idea.

kingofnexus, Jul 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. PieManHilmy

PieManHilmy

Hmmm, i tried turning off the UAC, but didn't do anything..... i don't know, i think there might be a problem with my mother board... :S

Can anyone else suggest something?

PieManHilmy, Jul 26, 2007
  4. PieManHilmy

AmericanNightmare

Some more detailed hardware specs would be useful. For example what brand and model mobo?

AmericanNightmare, Jul 26, 2007
  5. PieManHilmy

Jason

I also suggest installing the drivers under the admin account, make sure you "unhide" it then login.

Jason, Jul 27, 2007
  6. PieManHilmy

PieManHilmy

Ihave fixed the problem. After really sitting down and thinking about it for a while, i realised thatmyAsus 8600GTSgraphics didnt need to be installed everytime i boot uponly my motherboard drivers.They justwouldn't "stick". So i had come to the conclusion that it wasn't windows at all, but my motherboard bios version.Windows Vista just didnt like it,even though there is a big sticker on the motherboard box saying "Compatible with windows vista!". i hopped onto the asus website,got the latest bios update andPOOF! problem solved.

Thanks for your help guys, but problem is solved.

Just thought i might let you know.

Thanks again!

Kr@t0$

PieManHilmy, Jul 28, 2007
  7. PieManHilmy

cyclic

The problem is your CMOS battery, buy a new one. This is a 'text book' BIOS failure due to a lack of power, with an ATX board if you leave the power connected even when the PC is turned off, there is a trickle of current that keeps the CMOS alive, the battery is only back up, before the ATX standard introduced this and still not enough people undertand it, PC's were always doing this and needed a new battery every 12 months or so.

Check which type it is, normally it would be a C2302 battery, very few boards deviate from that standard, when you put the new one in, short the CMOS jumper pins for 10 seconds (power to the board must be off or you will fry the CMOS chip)then connect the power and boot up, the BIOS should automatically have reverted to it's default state by shorting the battery and so all that detection will happen all over again, but it should be for the last time, if by some chance it does happen the next time go into BIOS setup and make sure that 'write protect' for the BIOS is turned OFF so the new settings can actually be written to the chip, I wouldn't bother write protecting the BIOS again since it's more trouble than it's worth, virus' that attck the BIOS are very rare nowdays as even the idiots who write viruses realize they dont proliferate if the machine cant actually boot up and connect to the net.

Nowdays you can normally get a CMOS battery to live up to 2 years even disconnecting the wall plug everyday as the semi conductor materials are much better and the current doesn't disipate as fast, it makes me cringe when people say to reset the BIOS remove the battery for 10 minutes or so when in truth it can take a couple of hours for the power to trickle away, only shorting the jumper will do it quickly.

cyclic, Jul 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question