Windows Vista taking REALLY long to boot up.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Fangedelic, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

I unclicked everything from my startup programs, and it now takes even longer to start up? What is going on?

Fangedelic, Aug 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Fangedelic

kingofnexus

While its loading press ctrl + alt + esc. When task manger is loaded go into processes tab and click the CPU heading to sort by CPU usauge. See whatare atthe top of the list and report back.

A printscreen will save you writing them down. (If printscreen works that is while booting up).

kingofnexus, Aug 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Fangedelic

eXiled

I have the same problem with my laptop, got it 3 days now, and the problem was there from day one..

So basically after the login, a black screen pops up with the cursor for about 2/3 minutes.. Once every 5 times or so this doesn't happen.

This is really annoying, cause I don't know if this is a hardware or a software issue.. I can trade the laptop back in within the week if i have a good reason.. I've searched around on the net and I found that more people are having this problem, but no one has a solution..

eXiled, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Fangedelic

TALLBOY

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm experiencing the same problem. Was working fine for the last three months and now it's taking about 8 minutes to boot up. I'm running an HP Pavillion dv9200 CTO with an AMD Turionx64 2.0 ghz with 2 gb of RAM.

I shutdown to go to work this morning and it's been horrid all day. System restored back a few days, uninstalled every program that I installed since and updated and rolled back my graphics driver. Full spyware and virus sweeps.

Only thing I can think of is that last batch of MS updates screwed something up. If a BIOS update, defrag, and HDD scan/fix doesn't take care of it I'm going to uninstall the hotfixes.

TALLBOY, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Fangedelic

kingofnexus

System restore should have got rid of the latest updates... seems like recently microsoft have really buggered vista with dodgy updates.

kingofnexus, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Fangedelic

TALLBOY

Still nothing.

Rolled back and updated drivers. Uninstalled updates. Reflashed BIOS. Removed UAC. Removed bluetooth devices.

I refuse to wipe and reinstall so I'll keep coming back to it.

The 10 to 15 minute boot happens about 4/5 times and now I'm getting a Recovery_Reminder crash. Have no idea where that's coming from.

TALLBOY, Aug 18, 2007
  7. Fangedelic

phtran

I found this solution on another forum:

msconfig

services

uncheck "server"

phtran, Aug 24, 2007
  8. Fangedelic

cyclic

That's actually the lanman server which is only required if you have a local network, if you don't then that should never have been configured to start, it's not a default service. If you did have a network it would fall over, the other way to stop it taking time when booring is to configure the server either not to search for shares on start up or at all or to start the service in ''delayed' mode.

cyclic, Aug 25, 2007
  9. Fangedelic

GTT

I really don't know if this is your problem or not.

I used to get long boot with my old pentium D with upgraded vista from XP.

Now i have changed my CPU, and i got fresh full copy of vista and it load very fast.

Do you have windows vista upgrade ?

GTT, Sep 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question