Windows Vista taking REALLY long to boot up.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Fangedelic, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Im using a Fujitsu Lifebook E series. It shuts down pretty fast, but booting up is a different matter. Firstly, when it reaches the welcome screen, it stays there for a while, before moving on to a black screen, and stays there even longer before eventually booting up the desktop.

I sent it in for repair to Fujitsu and they told me the Vista was corrupt and they gave it back to me 'fixed'. It worked and booted fine for a while but now its gone back to being long to boot up again.

I have no viruses at all ( ran ad aware, anti virus stuff).

I have cleaned my registry.

I have limited my startup and services from MSCOFIG.

And its still like that. The point is, I should not even be doing this.My friends who all bought laptops the same time with me like a Sony Vaio or an Asus with Vistas all boot up super fast(even faster than XP even) and they didnt even limit their start up and services programs.

If anyone could help me out it would be very much appreciated!

Fangedelic, Aug 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Fangedelic

cyclic

It sounds like their 'fix' was only either temporary or has failed, the only time I have known a Vista install to suddenly slow down on booting is when an update needs to reconfigure something(only happens once though after update) or when there is either a hardware or software problem.

First off, I would try restoring the system to a time when you knew it was booting ok, choose a restore point fromprograms\accessories\ system tools\ system restore and see if it starts booting ok again, if it does then a software problem would seem the most likely cause, either something that you have installed or that has maybe updated automatically is causing a problem. If however it continues to boot slowly it would be possibly a hardware error or if you have say 512Mb memory (really not good for Vista) the 'prefetch' and 'superfetch' are loading too much which can be trimmed down (reset to start again) or possibly a failing which all Windows versions have had is loading all the Fonts at start up which if you have a 'normal' sort of machine you can have 200 or more Fonts which have been installed with programs, the only way to solve this problem is to rake through the Font folder and remove a lot of the non system Fonts, I can help you with that if you need, it may well be that all the 'fix' was, was just a good 'service' to dump trash and speed things up.

So First, have a go at the supplier again before you start trying to retreive the situation (still try a restore point though, it could just work) and if you can post the model you have got I can look up the spec. there may be some known issues and work arounds that can help.

Finally I would just like to say that sometimes if the machine is generally working fine but is just taking a lot longer to boot, it can be worth just putting up with it as any changes you make to help the booting time may reflect on other system services, all Windows versions gradually get slower at booting over time until they have a good maintenance session to remove crap and defrag etc;

cyclic, Aug 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Thanks cyclic. My RAM is not 512 but 2 GB of RAM ( if thats what you mean). And also my latop is a :

Fujitsu Lifebook Series E8410VB

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7300

(2.0 GHZ, 4 M.B, 8000 MHZ), Intel Pro/ Wireless 4965AGN,

15.4' Superfine WXGA TFT, 2GB DDR2 667 (MAX 4GB)

120G SATA HDD, Dual Layer Supermulti drive

(DVD+/-RW/RAM), NVIDIA Geforce 8400M G Max.374MB

Another wierd thing is sometimes the Vista boots abit faster, as in the welcome screen is still abit long, but theres no black screen. But this happens about once every five times anyway.

Thanks if you can help!

Fangedelic, Aug 5, 2007
  4. Fangedelic

cyclic

Good spec. for Vista and if all the hardware is 100% there wont be any hold ups there, the sometimes black screen is a bit of a clue in so far as certain video drivers can take a while to get their act together on boot up, see if there's an update from the Fuj\seimans for your graphics and grab any updates for any other hardware whilst your there, if you have got the latest graphics driver it can often be worthwhile using the previous one lets be honest every new driver released creates as many problems as it cures so often rolling back to the previous driver can make a big difference.........I would be interested to see the result of rolling the whole system back to an earlier date (don't forget it wont affect any data or piccies you've got only system files\drivers and the like), in short things that can get the machine in a mucking fuddle, if you follow me. Any software you've added since wont still be there and all the drivers you have will all be rolled back to when that restore point was done, BTW if that restore doesn't have any effect you can go back to the restore program and put things back as they were before you restored so there's really nothing to lose.

What d'ya fink mate ?

cyclic, Aug 5, 2007
  5. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Again, thanks for you help. Sorry but due to me being a computer noob, I don't understand some of the things you are saying. Basically, I should go to the Fujitsu website and update as many drivers as I can right?

Fangedelic, Aug 5, 2007
  6. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

I updated the video driver on my Fujitsu Laptop. Still has a delay on the welcome screen and a black screen after. Help! My friends Asus Laptop with worse specs boots up in 30 seconds without any tweaks etc(no need to edit the startup programs etc.).

Fangedelic, Aug 6, 2007
  7. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Anymore help guys?

Fangedelic, Aug 6, 2007
  8. Fangedelic

Jason

When is the hold up: Right after you type in your password and it starting logging in, or before it even gets to the login/welcome screen? If it's holding up before the welcome screen then it's probably a hardware/driver issue, if it's holding up after you log in then it's probably a service but it could still be a driver. Download a program called AutoRuns which is on microsoft's tech net it's better and more sophisticated than msconfig so watch out when you disable as it will mess up your system if you disable important startup services. Load up autoruns and click on the login tab at the top and take a screen shot. Post it up here.

Jason, Aug 6, 2007
  9. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

I dont have a password needed. But yeah it holds up at the login screen (past the windows green scrolling thingie). It holds up first at the Welcome screen with the swirly waiting icon, then goes to a black screen for a minute or so, then finally loads the desktop.

Anyway thanks Jason! Here is the screenshot. Hope you can help.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/fangedelic/Logon.jpg

Fangedelic, Aug 6, 2007
  10. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Help!

Fangedelic, Aug 7, 2007
  11. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Jason gotta help me man help!

Fangedelic, Aug 8, 2007
  12. Fangedelic

WAW8

The URL to the snapshot you provided does not work. We need to see more details in order to provide specific help.

What jason is probably trying to do is get a list of services your Vista machine loads at startup to see what can be eliminated. Every service being loaded adds to the delay.

If you want to take a hack at this yourself, use the link below:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

This will provide a list of Vista services and some suggestions regarding which ones to disable or set on manual start.

WAW8, Aug 8, 2007
  13. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Fangedelic, Aug 8, 2007
  14. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Sigh I am really angry now...the black screen has gotten even longer now that I used CCleaner to clean my registry. The black screen is taking a whopping 3 minutes before it even loads the desktop...

Fangedelic, Aug 9, 2007
  15. Fangedelic

kingofnexus

Ive just started experiencing the same problem as you. After selecting the username it will say 'Welcome' for about a minute maybe more, then 'Applying Personal Settings' or something like that for another minute, a blackscreen for ages, then background will appear, short time after that windows loads, but still goes really slow fora while.

I found the problem by going into task manger via 'ctrl+alt+esc' and being patient for it to load. I found an AVG antivirus process is not working properly and using all the system resorces. I end processed the exe and found windows to suddenly finish loading in an instant like normal. Disabling the exe using msconfig and all other avg stuff fixed the problem. I am now gonna try reinstalling as its somehow got corrupted.

kingofnexus, Aug 11, 2007
  16. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Thanks for the reply, but my problem started even before I had AVG in my system. I only uninstalled my norton and installed AVG because I thought that was what was making my laptop take long to boot up, but I was wrong...

Fangedelic, Aug 11, 2007
  17. Fangedelic

cyclic

There is no predisposition or even history of AVG causing problems, on the contrary you've done your PC an immense favour by uninstalling that Norton trash, I hope you leave it that way. There are a number of things that if set incorrectly in the BIOS can cause booting to be a time for putting the kettle on, make sure you have 'quick post' enabled and memory check disabled. Also go through the BIOS setup pages and disable support for any devices you don't have, include in this 'boot up floppy seek' which is amazing i'ts still included (from the days when floppies could be either 1.44Mb or 720Kb in size, if the wrong size was set you couldn't read floppies, but when you do lasy remember buying a floppy and being asked which size ? or when did you last buy floppies for that matter?).

Another major cause of this problem is hard drive problems, either filing system or cluster errors, scan all you drives with all option ticked to make sure they are at peak condition.

cyclic, Aug 11, 2007
  18. Fangedelic

Fangedelic

Ah many thanks cyclic I will try it out. Do you know if you could look at the picture I posted earlier to see if anything under my logon screen could be making my computer boot long?

Fangedelic, Aug 11, 2007
  19. Fangedelic

kingofnexus

looking at log on tab on the picture the best thing to do is disable everything that windows doesn't need. Then see if the problem is still there. You can then turn things back on one by one until you find the problem.

So uncheck everything apart from the top two enteries 'userinit logon application' and 'windows explorer'. See if it loads faster then. Then you can go down the list until you find the problem.

kingofnexus, Aug 12, 2007
  20. Fangedelic

Jason

You can go ahead and unclick :

AVG7_CC

FJUPDNV

SunJavaUpdate

PCDrProfiler

Then reboot and see if it makes a difference, if it doesnt try unchecking:

LVCOMSX

SynTPE

Logitech SetPoint