Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh and Issues........

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Loosetooth, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Loosetooth

Loosetooth

Okay.... the on-going saga.

I have a Toshiba X200 laptop. I am not very technical but I can do things with the help of forums and search engines.

I was basically happy with the Windows Vista Home Premium that the laptop came with. However I am a vet of XP and knew that SP2 (and more recently SP3) improved speed and reliability. So when I heard of Vista SP1 RC I went for it.

By the time I got there it was SP1 RC Refresh. I downloaded the registry hack and installed the update. I immediately lost my Nvidia control panel and my sound card. It obviously was not the finished product so I uninstalled using the system restore option.

Since then I still get Windows Update trying to install the service pack... presumably due to the registry hack..... how do I remove it?

Also and most importantly I have lost the ability to use my optical mouse, a cheap Belkin USB2 thing.

I have unistalled the windows driver both for the mouse and for the Synaptics Pointing Device (indeed when I came back from the Service pack there was a problem with the mouse pad and that has been on-going) and I have downloaded and installed the Belkin Drivers. I have tried any combination of these things all to no avail.

I need that mouse to work as I have to use photoshop.................

Any help greatly appreciated.......

Loosetooth, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Loosetooth

WAW8

Just the kind of problems you're experiencing is why MS advises everyone to NOT install Release Candidates on systems they use to do mainstream work. The ability to uninstall Vista RC's is a recent one; in the earlier days, you had to wipe and completely reinstall to go from one version to another.

My best guess as to you want to do is:

1) Reset Windows Update to the condition it was in before you modified it to find the Service Pack

2) Restore Vista to the state it was before you applied the SP.

Easiest way to accomplish both in one step would be to do a System Restore. I would try that first.

If no Restore is available, you have the much more difficult option of repairing or reinstalling Vista from scratch. Since your system came preinstalled, the vendor should have provided a way to either reinstall (if the image is in a hidden partition on the drive) or create Restore Media (CDs or DVD). I would check your vendor literature to see which was provided.

If you can make a restore DVD, then try doing a repair first. See the post I pinned on doing a System Repair for instructions.

If you can't make a restore DVD, you may have to request the vendor to reinstall your system -- which they will do from a custom image and effectively wipe everything from your machine.

BTW, don't be tempted to go out and buy an OEM DVD. The system vendors customize their installations of Vista, generally to include device drivers needed for the laptop, but also to include some vendor-specific SW as well. If you use a generic OEM DVD, it's likely to NOT contain the drivers and it certainly is not going to have the vendor SW.

WAW8, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question