Windows Vista Product Key

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Wallzy, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Wallzy

Wallzy

I purchased a laptop from comet the other day i had a message come up saying i need to activate windows when i clicked to activate it a message is coming up sayin invalid product key and that i have 29 days to activate windows

can some one tell me what im doing wrong please

thanks

wallzy

Wallzy, Dec 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Wallzy

TimeRanger

Not sure, but it sounds like the store just might have installed a bootleg copy of windows. How reputable is the store? Is the laptop new or used/refurbished?

TimeRanger, Dec 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Wallzy

WAW8

When you purchase a machine with Vista preloaded, you're not supposed to have to activate it at all -- that's what preloading does. Since the builder installs an OEM license, it's their responsibility to activate the machine, not yours.

As to the 30-days, that means it was installed without providing a product key -- which makes me suspicious as to the legitimacy of the license. Maybe they intend their customers to provide the product key and activate it themselves. If so, there will either be a sticker on the machine with the product key, or they would have provided you with am OEM DVD with the sticker on the sleeve.

If they didn't provide you either, return it and demand a refund. Unless your machine gets activated, it will drop into Reduced Functionality Mode -- which means it will resemble a brick.

WAW8, Dec 21, 2007
  4. Wallzy

Wallzy

The store is a nation wide store so i cant see the copy bein a bootleg ive tried inputting the product key that comes on the under side of the laptop when it asks for my product key and its saying it is a invalid key

any help apreciated

wallzy

Wallzy, Dec 22, 2007
  5. Wallzy

chrisscorsese88

I just had this problem today, though no time limit came up, it just says "This copy of Windows is not genuine", so how do I fix it?

Edit: Nevermind, I just fixed it.

chrisscorsese88, Dec 22, 2007
  6. Wallzy

kingofnexus

Take it back to comet and explain the problem. They will either give you a knew key, replace the laptop, or tell you to contact microsoft.

kingofnexus, Dec 22, 2007
  7. Wallzy

WAW8

If you contact MS, they will most likely do the following:

1) Tell you to download a utility that will run diags on your system -- to report the validity of ALL ms products on your box

2) Send them the report the utility generates

When you look at the report, you will see that it states "invalid key"

At that point, I'm pretty sure that MS will NOT provide you a valid key. Why? Because you bought a preinstalled system -- for which the OEM (system builder) obtains the key, not you.

So, your only recourse is to demand a valid key from the place that sold it to you; or lacking them giving you a good key, demanding a refund.

WAW8, Dec 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question