Windows Vista - Issue with RDP connection after XX minutes.

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by The Stig, Nov 25, 2008.

1. The Stig

The Stig

Hi.

So, this is possibly the strangest problem I've ever met, and I can't seem to solve it.

The issue is as follows:

I have one server running on Windows XP, which is located hundreds of miles away from me. Here at home, I have my workstation with Vista Ultimate 64 and my trusty server with Win2k8.

So, from a number of reasons I would sometime need to access my XP server. And this is where the problem start. If I've just rebooted my workstation, I can connect with RDP (and for example, Telenet) with no problem. And as long as I keep the connection open, there is no problem. If I however try to close the connection, and then try to reconnect for example, 15 minutes later - it doesn't work! Neither does Telenet/SSH/Whatever. From my 2k8 server though, everything still works fine - and all my mates can connect to the XP-machine as well. So, I think it's safe to conclude that the problem is on my workstation.

So, after a number of hrs I have found something that might be related to the problem. With the help of Network Monitor I've found that while the connection work, "source" is listed as my IP-address, for example:

Process name: Microsoft RDP

Source: 10.10.10.50 (My IP)

Destination: myip.dnsalias.com

However, when I try to reconnect later, it says (when it doesn't work):

Process name: Microsoft RDP

Source: Khadgar (Which is my computer's name).

Destination: myip.dnsalias.com

I can also menition that it does not help if I type the IP-adress to the XP-machine, instead of the DNS-name. I can however (if its relevant) connect to the LAN where the XP-machine is at, by HTTP.

So, does anyone know how to solve this? I would be forever grateful.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The Stig, Nov 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question