windows vista fails to perform automatic recovery

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by mataharimata, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mataharimata

mataharimata

hi everyone,

I have a sony Vaio VGN-AR390E that runs on windows vista. since yesterday when starting the laptop it fails to start windows, but rather get a black screen full of $ signs, which then leads me to another black screen that gives me the options to start windows normally or perform windows recovery. when i select run windows normally, all i get is a black screen. and when i run windows recovery, it goes threw the recovery process but then it says the recovery could not be performed automatically.

i have also tried pressing F8 at vaio logo to get more options such as safe mode, but also leads me to the same screen again of the $ signs. and as well by pressing F10 i get to the recovery center and performing recovery doesn't work, i did a hardware diagnostic which says that everything is ok. i have a recent back up of all my files and there for don't need to run data restore.

when i first bought my laptop 3 years ago i had to make two recovery disks which i also tried running but they don't get recognized

can any one please help me ??

thank you much appreciated

kind regards

mataharimata, Oct 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. mataharimata

Lech

Your system either crashed or got infected, so it doesn't work and that's why your other discs are not getting recognized. I think you can also try hitting F2 while starting the system.
    If you can't boot into a safe mode, try to hook it to a different computer and run a virus/malware scan making sure that the other has up to date protection, so you don't get it infected. Otherwise you'll probably have to re-format the HDD and re-install Vista.

Lech, Nov 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. mataharimata

WAW8

From what I was able to find out about this problem, the times it was fixed was when folks replaced the video card. It seemed to be tied to video memory failures.

The fact that you get the SAME symptoms in safe mode points to a common factor also -- the video memory. I would ordinarily tell you to boot into SAFE mode and remove the video driver, defaulting to the MS generic driver -- but since you can't get into SAFE mode, that is not an option for you.

One final thing you can try is ruling out ALL of the MS Software. Do that by going to the site below, downloading and burning an Ubuntu 10.10 desktop CD, booting from that -- and seeing if you get "normal" graphics using that. IF you do, then it's NOT hardware and you're faced with (1) backing off your files and data, and (2) completely reinstalling Vista on your laptop.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

WAW8, Nov 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question