Windows Vista Capable Lawsuit Continues

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

The court case examines whether Microsoft's Windows Vista Capable and Express Upgrade programs were deceptive. Microsoft has lost the first round in a legal battle over whether its Windows Vista Capable and Express Upgrade programs were deceptive and led consumers to buy PCs that could only run the most basic version of the operating system.

The case was brought against the software giant, based in Redmond, Wash., by lead plaintiff Dianne Kelley of Camano Island, Wash. Kelley bought a new PC in November 2006 that had a sticker labeled "Windows Vista Capable" affixed to it. Windows Vista had not been released at that time, so customers bought machines with Windows XP preloaded and were given a coupon that allowed them to upgrade to Vista when the operating system was released at the end of January 2007.

Jason, Aug 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

lorenkjr

Vista capable machines, humm I find this somewhat deceptive. I have Vista Home Pemium running on an appox. 8 year old Compaq Presario with the only change being an ATI 9250 video card. So the obvious question is why it runs so nice for me and not for others???????? Windows Aero no problems, Windows Media Center no problems, networking now figured out and no problems, so I can't everything that they are talking about in this lawsuit though obviously since it has not gone Microsoft's way (or at least I don't think so there must be some problems here) I would assume there is a lot more to this yet to really come out, right??????? One thing that should be mentioned I also have a Dell 700r of the same vintage the Compaq is, it will not run either version of Vista that I bought. Why?????????? Video cards are small 32 meg's and I believe 16 meg's which are too small I suspect, also the memory on the Dell is limited to 768 which does not provide much once you get going. The big difference however is the Compaq 8250 is close enough to a 1ghz. processor and it has an odd ball system bus at 200 mhz. , which appears to make a big difference when system performance is taken into effect.

lorenkjr, Oct 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Alejandrosv

8 years? you are talking about a pentium 3, 1ghz, maybe 128 ram? 256? i really can't imagine how it would run on that.

Alejandrosv, Oct 3, 2007
  4. Jason

lorenkjr

Sorry I forgot to mention that it does have 2 512 meg. simms and 1 256 meg. simm so yes it does work very nicely. Even though it is a Pentium 3. The video card makes a difference as does the fact that it is a 200 mhz buss vrs. the older 133 mhz. buss. Aero included it makes an all right system. Point is that people who ve the older systems are going to have upgrade some things as new operating systems become available. But, as I recall the guy that is suing Microsoft bought a relatively new system right????? Which may well mean he has a case. The people who have older systems may well be able to still do something with Vista but, they probably have to upgrade something for sure.

lorenkjr, Oct 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question