Windows Vista Bug Reports: An Analysis

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

<DIV class=postsub>

Late Monday evening, I was writing bug reports for a private, Vista-related beta test that I'm involved in, when I noticed a new feature on Connect. Their last release enabled users to view feedback in a variety of different ways. So I started looking through the list of most recent bugs, and leaving comments on bugs I had also noticed. As I was paging through the list, I wondered what a statistical analysis on all the Windows Vista bugs in the system would look like. It wasn't the kind of question I would typically leave hanging out there... the more I thought about it, the more curious I got. I had to know.

So I embarked on a journey... one that would test the limits of my patience, Connect, and my dual-proc computer. I whipped out Excel 2007, and started to copy and paste all the bugs from Connect into a new spreadsheet. There were 100 bugs to a page, and 287 pages. You do the math. Oh wait, you don’t have to, I already did. More on that shortly. <BLOCKQUOTE>&lt;side rant&gt;
    Sowhat started out as a good idea soon became a tedious affair. You see, as cool as this list was, it still didn't help the fact that Connect is a badly-written application. I'm sorry guys. I know there is a team that put their heart and soul into making it happen, and I know I rag on you all the time. Butwhoever built itdoesn't know ASP.NET, and it shows. The paging system for the list is absolutely terrible. Only the "forward" and "back" buttons work; the "beginning" and "end" ones don't. There aren't clickable page numbers, so you can't jump ahead. And because it is all postback-based, you can't specify a query string value to jump you to a specific page. And, oh yeah, did I mention that the site makes you log back in every 60 minutes? Which means every hour you have to start back at page one. When you set the bug list to 100 items per page, the average page load time is 9 seconds. At that speed, you can go through 6 pages a minute. If you have to start at page 120, it takes 20 minutes to get back to where you left off.
    &lt;/side rant&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE>

Four and a half hours later, I had copied all the bugs into my spreadsheet. Then, after using the bug IDs to remove duplicates from pasting errors, and using the bug titles to remove other duplicates (Excel 2007 found 1,072 duplicate bugs in the system), I used PivotTables and PivotCharts to analyze the data. Here's what I found out:<P align=center><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse"><TBODY><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; PADDING-LEFT: 7px"><TD align=middle><DIV><TABLE style="COLOR: white; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse"><TBODY><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BACKGROUND: black; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 2.25pt solid" colSpan=2><P style="FONT-SIZE: 14px" align=right>Windows Vista Bugs (As Of 3 July 2006) </TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; FONT-SIZE: 12px; BACKGROUND: #3b608d"><TD>

Active</TD><TD><P align=right>5,743 </TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; FONT-SIZE: 12px; BACKGROUND: #4f81bd"><TD>

Closed</TD><TD><P align=right>20,176</TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; FONT-SIZE: 12px; BACKGROUND: #3b608d"><TD>

Resolved</TD><TD><P align=right>1,020</TD></TR><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; FONT-SIZE: 14px; BACKGROUND: #27405e"><TD>

Total</TD><TD><P align=right>27,479</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG]
    (click to enlarge)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I was really su

Jason, Jul 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question