Windows Update, Windows Live Messenger 8.1 AND Sidebar gadget problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by malta_hales, Oct 4, 2007.

1. malta_hales

malta_hales

Hi i'm using Vista Ultimate version and i'm having all sorts of problems with windows update, Windows live messenger 8.1 and my sidebar.

a) Windows Update-

Windows update is failing to load any new updates available, after selecting "check for updates" i am responded with an immediate error; it states...

Windows could not search for new updates. Error(s) found: Code 80040154. Get help ​

I have googled my error code but not many responses. So thats my first concern

b)Live Messenger 8.1-

Secondly, i was shocked to find my msn wasn't working (works on web based version, so cant be wrong login details) first the typing was slow then i get the error code: 800401f3 denying me login. I searched up the code and found i had to type up some things in cmd.

regsvr32 Dssenh.dll /s... succeeded

regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll /s...failed to load

regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll /s...failed to load

regsvr32 Sccbase.dll /s...failed to load

regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s...succeeded

regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s...succeeded

regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s...failed to load

regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll /s...succeeded

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s..succeeded

regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll /s...succeeded

regsvr32 Msxml3.dll /s...succeeded

Don't really know what that means but that didnt change anything....

c) Sidebar/Gadgets

Last but not least my sidebar has nothing to show... its just blank with the plus and arrow buttons at the top... everything had just disappeared and all my gadgets are gone from where all the gadgets are usually displayed... i tried downloading new gadgets and installing them yet they also didn't work.

Thats about all the problems i have (touch wood) oh btw i tried restarting my pc few times and fully shutting it down but it didn't change anything...

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated im having heaps of trouble trying to work this out :S

Thanks in advance :D

malta_hales, Oct 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. malta_hales

kingofnexus

Best and easist thing to do is a system restor back to a date before you lost your gadgets. Simply type "System Restore" in the start menu (without quotation marks), and follow the instructions given.

kingofnexus, Oct 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. malta_hales

malta_hales

But does that mean i lose everything i have????

malta_hales, Oct 4, 2007
  4. malta_hales

kingofnexus

System restore gets rid of everything that been isntalled and all setting that have been changed so that everything is the same as the date you choose to restore back to.

All documents and files do not dissapear, even those that have been created in a program that system restore gets rid of, you do not lose any information.

kingofnexus, Oct 5, 2007
  5. malta_hales

malta_hales

hey i try to run system restore but i get this in the opening window....

System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system.

The Volume shadow copy service used by System restore is not working. For more information view the event log.

(0x81000202)

malta_hales, Oct 5, 2007
  6. malta_hales

kingofnexus

Oh dear, very bad sign.

Firstly try this https://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/FindPost8928.aspx

If that doesn't work, then a virus or a faulty installation has messed up windows.

First thing to try is to check for virus's. There is good free anti virus so I suggest doing a scan with either a)Avast or b)AVG.

If that doesn't find anything, or if it does doesn't fix anything then your best bet is to simply reinstall windows vista. Make back up of all files you want to keep, and scan them with the anti virus software (you dont want to infect the new installation). Its not a nice suggestion, and will take a while to do, but you will end up with a error free system.

kingofnexus, Oct 6, 2007
  7. malta_hales

malta_hales

hey i dont reinstalling windows but the only thing is settings i have on my computer with other hardware.... Especially my modem and stuff i had HEAPS of trouble getting it right i had to hire some tech guys to get it up and running simultaneously with my other pc... is there a way to save those settings ??:S:S

malta_hales, Oct 6, 2007
  8. malta_hales

kingofnexus

There is no way of keeping settings when reinstalling. You did try the fix mentioned above?

If you needed people to set up the computer for you then perhaps its not the best idea to reinstall and set everything up yourself. Its an easy enough task to do, reinstall, get the internet up, then find and install all the latest drivers.

What exactly was the problem with your internet? If you give us the precise details of what the problem was, how you connect to the internet etc we may be able to help you do what the tech guys did.

kingofnexus, Oct 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question