windows update too slow.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by malhar, Mar 15, 2016.

1. malhar

malhar

I have vista ultimate installed.Recently I downloaded service pack 2.Since then I have noticed that windows update takes forever to check for updates.What do you think is the problem?

malhar, Mar 15, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. malhar

Cammygirl192

There is currently issue, Microsoft have decided to make problem by slowing updates for non-10 users.
    You may not do anything about it. ~Cammy

Cammygirl192, Mar 15, 2016
    Edwin009 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. malhar

Edward S

Hello Malhar,

Are you still facing issues with Windows Updates? You can try disabling your security software and run Windows updates and check if it helps.

All the best.

Edward S, Apr 11, 2016
    Edwin009 likes this.
  4. malhar

clive

I'm having the same slow windows vista update problem. The same problem is happening when I try to update my Firefox browser from 43.0.1 to the latest version, I can't get it to update.

clive, Apr 15, 2016
  5. malhar

sctvguy1

Clive, you should go to ninite.com and use their site to update stuff like browsers and other items. It is safe.

sctvguy1, May 12, 2016
  6. malhar

clive

To sort my Firefox update problem out: I uninstalled my Mozilla/Firefox browser via the normal Windows uninstall method, I then restarted my pc and manually removed the Mozilla files that get left behind after a uninstall, then i did a fresh install of Firefox, all is ok now.

I will check out ninite.com , Thanks for the tip..

Here's the method (below) I always stick to when removing Firefox, I hope it's ok to post the tip here? (I'm not the original author):

How to Totally Remove Firefox

By default, the Firefox Uninstall Wizard does not remove your Firefox installation in its entirety from your hard drive, leaving behind user data, such as bookmarks and passwords intact. While you can instruct the Firefox Uninstall Wizard to remove your user data during removal, you must still manually delete any remaining files that are left behind, such as the Firefox installation folder and browser cache.
    Removing Personal Data

When uninstalling Firefox using the Firefox Uninstall Wizard, check the box next to “Remove My Firefox Personal Data and Customizations” to remove all user data. If you already uninstalled Firefox without removing your user data, press “Windows-R” to open Run, enter “%appdata%” (without quotes) and then press “Enter.” On the File Explorer window that shows up, select the folder labeled “Mozilla” and then press “Shift-Delete” to remove all user data manually.
    Removing Additional Files

The Firefox Uninstall Wizard leaves behind the folder that Firefox was installed to, which may contain remnants of data related to installed add-ons. To remove this folder, open File Explorer and navigate to “C:\Program files,” or “C:\Program files (x86)” on 64-bit versions of Windows. Select the folder labelled “Mozilla Firefox” and then press “Shift-Delete” to remove it. Since the Firefox Uninstall Wizard also leaves intact the folder that stores any cached Internet files, open Run, type “appdata” (without quotes) and then press “Enter.” Double-click the folder labeled “Local,” and then select “Mozilla.” Press “Shift-Delete” to remove it.

Related Reading: How to Remove an Aim Toolbar From Firefox
    Disclaimer

Information in this article applies to Mozilla Firefox 26. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions.

clive, May 18, 2016
  7. malhar

Jamie White

This has only been an issue since Windows 10 was released, they prioritised over updating 7/8/8.1 users to 10 automatically and updating for that, they left all the others.

Jamie White, Jun 7, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question