Windows Update Failing Amoung Others

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Kingkails, May 31, 2010.

1. Kingkails

Kingkails

Hi There,

I am trying to install SP1 on my Vista home basic but it returns with this error.(0x80071a91) Since this problem began a few other things have gone wrong too. Occasionally on startup I get an errror message (Windows Process Rundll32 has stopped working). And I am no longer able to play DVD's in WMP, I get this error(Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.) Clicking web help says it is error (C00D11B1) and that my sound device is not functioning correctly. However DVD's will play through Dell MediaDirect.

I have AVG, Spybot, and IObit Security360. Searches find no viruses or spyware. I have also run the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and it found nothing.

The Updates that currently show in Windows Update and will not install are:

KB947821

KB976002

KB973917

KB981349

KB979683

KB937287

KB980232

KB905866

KB975561

KB977816

KB978601

KB979309

KB978338

KB980182

KB977816

KB978338

KB978601

KB979309

I have searched online for help and tried a few Microsoft Hot Fixes but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

Kingkails, May 31, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Kingkails

Kingkails

I managed to get SP1 to start and finish the install only to fail after the restart due to a different error.

Please note that my Windows Update Agent is now working correctly and installing updates.

But just incase anyone else is having a similar problem here are some things you can try:

*1:*

From an elevated command prompt (HOLD CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER WHEN OPENING) go to directory "c:\windows\system32\config\TxR" (or the equivalent location on your machine)

- run "attrib –H –S *" to make all hidden files in the directory visible.

- run "del *.blf"

- run "del *.regtrans-ms"

- reboot your machine

*2:*

From an elevated command prompt (HOLD CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER WHEN OPENING) go to directory "c:\windows\system32\SMI\Store\Machine" (or the equivalent location on your machine)

- run "del *.blf"

- run "del *.regtrans-ms"

- reboot your machine

*3:*

Delete pending.xml From "C:\windows\winsxs\" (or the equivalent location on your machine)

-To Do This you have to take ownership of the file

-Right Click on the file and select properties

-Click the security TAB and then advanced

-Click the owner TAB then edit

-Enter your USER

-Click the permissions TAB and EDIT

-Select your user and make it full control

*4:*

Run the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSur) and review the list of Manifest which is showing as missing.

-After you run the tool, the Checksur.log file is saved in the following location:

%systemroot%\Logs\CBS

-Open the Checksur.log in the notepad and find errors that mention the files were missing. Record the complete file name for every missing file.

For example, in a log with errors, it will show you the file Package_for_KB948881~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.1.mum.

"Checking System Update Readiness.

Version 6.0.6001.22275

2009-07-20 22:35

Checking Deployment Packages

Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.

Checking package watchlist.

Checking component watchlist.

Checking packages.

(f) CBS MUM Missing 0x00000002

Package_for_KB948881~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.1.mum. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Checking component store

Checking SMI Store

Summary:

Milliseconds: 163995

Found 1 errors

CBS MUM Missing Total Count: 1 "

To download System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSur), please review the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;947821

-Correct the missing manifest files

Method 1:

Copy the missing manifest (For example Package_for_KB948881~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.1.mum.) from another working machine into the same folder on the problem one.

Method 2:

A. If you do not have another working machine, please download the update from Microsoft Download Center to the local drive (For example, drive D). Then you will get the update file in the root directory of Drive D, such as Windows6.0-KB948881-x64.msu.

B. Create a new folder in the root directory of Drive D, such as KB948881.

C. Open Command Prompt with elevated privileges and type the following line and press Enter:

expand -F:* <The path to the .msu file> <The path that stores the extracted files>

For example:

expand -F:* D:\Windows6.0-KB948881-x64.msu D:\KB948881

Then you will find 4 files are extracted into the folder that contains the extracted files and one of them is a .cab file (for example, Windows6.0-KB948881-x64.cab).

D. Type the following line and press Enter to extract this .cab file:

expand -F:* <The path to the extracted .cab file> <The path that stores the extracted files>

For example:

expand -F:* D:\KB948881\Windows6.0-KB948881-x64.cab D:\KB948881

Wait a minute and files will be extracted to D:\KB948881.

E. Copy the missing manifest to the %Systemroot%\servicing\Packages folder.

*5:*

Reset the File System Resource Manager if you receive error 0

Kingkails, May 31, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Kingkails

Kingkails

I have successfully installed vista SP1 through the Windows Update Agent and my DLL error has stopped. Still a problem with WMP playing DVD's but all my other software can play DVD's still, so will have to keep looking for a solution for that...

Kingkails, Jun 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question