Windows Update Download Path

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cnlevo, Jul 3, 2007.

1. cnlevo

cnlevo

Where does Vista download it's "windows updates" to? What's the path? I have my OS on a 40gb drive and i'm thinking I might of put it on a bigger drive however i'm not going through it all again and I hate having unneeded stuff on my drives (i'm an organizational freak about things like that)....

Thanks in advance....

cnlevo, Jul 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. cnlevo

kingofnexus

No idea. Windows updates are rarely larger that 1mb andI would have thoughtdeleted after they are installed.

kingofnexus, Jul 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. cnlevo

WAW8

Since you have Ultimate, you can use the Vista backup feature to image your drive, and after installing a new drive, restore it from the image. You will probably have to reactivate by phone because the driver S/N is part of the activation hash, but that only takes a few minutes.

WAW8, Jul 5, 2007
  4. cnlevo

cnlevo

Someone gave me the path to the updates location and it had 3gb of installs in there :X

cnlevo, Jul 5, 2007
  5. cnlevo

kingofnexus

3GB!!! Thats alot of updates ;)

Have you been downloading the language packs? That will account for it.

kingofnexus, Jul 5, 2007
  6. cnlevo

WAW8

To find the backup feature in Utimate, type backup into the start area. It will show the backup and restore center. Select that.

When it opens, under Back up files or your entire computer, select the backup computer button. That will create an image of your entire Vista partition. If you only have one partition on your disk, you will have to do the backup to an external drive. It may also backup to DVD -- but I haven't tried that in Vista and when I did a similar thing in XP, it took FOREVER!! (as in several hours).

Once you have that image, you can then use the Vista DVD to restore that image to another drive. You will probably have to reactivate Vista, which means a phone call to Microsoft, but if the drive is in the same computer as the original drive, you should have no other problems.

WAW8, Jul 6, 2007
  7. cnlevo

cnlevo

Thanks for the help. Although I went a different route and just reinstalled a fresh copy onto a 160gb SATA 7200rpm drive...

Anyways...about the updates taking up so much space. I have just installed every update possible except for the language packs... (btw the directory is X:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution [x: = windows drive])....there are a little over 10gb of installs. Granted some of them are Office 2007 Pro upgrades, but still....that's why I was looking for it because I know they don't get automatically deleted....

cnlevo, Jul 7, 2007
  8. cnlevo

kingofnexus

Very odd... I have just checked that folder and I have every update (including Office 07 updates)minus the language lacks downloaded and I only have 90.9MB in that folder.

kingofnexus, Jul 7, 2007
  9. cnlevo

cnlevo

^^^ i have no idea, lol. I just know it WAS there...until i deleted it and ran CCleaner....removed a TON of files and free'd up alot of space.

cnlevo, Jul 7, 2007
  10. cnlevo

cyclic

More worser still, I have 20.5Mb which is all of Vista's updates from day 1 excluding lang. packs, methinks we don't have a complete picture here of where stuff is being stored.

I will add it to my ever growing list of 'things to find out' about Vista............well I gotta have something to do besides playing games, tried Lost Planet DX10 yet ? it's really rather good in parts could end up quite popular I feel.

cyclic, Jul 7, 2007
  11. cnlevo

cnlevo

^^ yea i know there are so many new things i'm learning with vista. I'm still trying to figure out the locations of all the start menu things...it seems they are scattered all over the place. I've got it half way figured out.

Then there is all the commands you can use to edit/tweak things in vista in the command prompt.

oh well, if it was easy then it wouldn't be fun and if i WANTED it easy then I would wait a year and then install Vista, but I like tweaking and fixing things...so it works out good for me.

cnlevo, Jul 7, 2007
  12. cnlevo

kingofnexus

Lol got no money to spend on games for my computer, saving up for some console games later this year.

kingofnexus, Jul 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question