Windows.old

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by xPhantomx, Apr 4, 2007.

1. xPhantomx

xPhantomx

Now that I have Vista installed it put all my apps and games I had installed on my pc in a Windows.old folder. If i'm wanting to freshly install all my apps and games again do I even need this Windows.old folder and it's contents??

There is nothing from the folder Vista need to operator correctly is there? The folder is taking up quit a few gigs of my hard drive. I clicked on some of the apps withing that folder and they no longer work properly anyway and I assume need a fresh install.

Thanks.

xPhantomx, Apr 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. xPhantomx

cyclic

it should be safe to delete, just in case rename it to WASwindows.old or something and after a couple of days if nothing has complained about not being able to access windows.old then kick it out. According to MS you can delete it immediately but I like to be a little more cautious for a couple of days.

cyclic, Apr 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. xPhantomx

xPhantomx

That makes since, better safe than sorry, I'll do the same as you suggest. Thank you for your help!!

I just installed vista last night, I had no sound when it first went into Vista but I downloaded the driver for my sound card and that problem was fixed. I see ATI has an offical driver for my graphic card that isn't a beta version so i'll download that tonight and install it.

Vista installed fine and once i got my sound working it ran fine. Didn't get any error messages of any kind, (knock on wood). Recignized my network in my home, got on the internet just fine. Need to make sure my Vista pc can see my other XP machines and vise versa. The only issue I have is Vista doesn't recognize my Canon LiDe scanner. I don't think Canon has an offical driver yet, I've yet to look though.

But I'll rename the Windows.old folder and leave it on for a week and if everything runs ok, maybe I'll copy that to my external hard drive and leave it on there for another week or two then delete it.

xPhantomx, Apr 4, 2007
  4. xPhantomx

Titch

As I have said in a previous post: https://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic5722-9-1.aspx

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_lblFullMessage>Yes you can delete with out anyproblems.

Just be sure you ain't left any documents or music you would like to keep in your old "My Documents" folder. From what I can tell the purpose of it is to ensure you dont loose any doc, photo's or other media you might want to keep for personal reasons and offers no technical qualities.</SPAN>

Titch, Apr 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question