Windows.old

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Spaz000, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Spaz000

Spaz000

1. Is it ok to delete windows.old to free up drive space?

2. I tried deleting it and in the recycling progress box thing, the file kept growing and growing. And when i select properties for Windows.old it too seems to be growing.

P.S. I did a custom install when I installed Home premium upgrade and I want to leave the past behind and start with a clean computer slate. I only have 77gb/225gb free. That's why I'm trying to delete it

Spaz000, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Spaz000

warlord

:cool:I deleted my old windows folder when I first upgraded from XP to Vista without any problems...I also just this Weekend Deleted my old 32Bit Vista windows folder when I upgraded to 64bit with my Vista Ultimate...Go ahead and deletethe folder if you feel you will not be going back to the older version of windows,you will be fine....

warlord, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Spaz000

cyclic

If you did a clean install not an upgrade you wouldn't have an .old folder at all. But yes it should be entirely safe to delete.

cyclic, Mar 14, 2007
  4. Spaz000

cyclic

As a matter of interest how did you achieve this? there is no upgrade path from Vista X86 to Vista X64 it has to be done from a clean installation, so there are no files left over.

cyclic, Mar 14, 2007
  5. Spaz000

Salt

Actually, with a clean install you DO still get the .old file left behind. I know this, because I ponied up the $250 for the full version, so I wouldn't have conflicts w/ XP when going to Vista. Also, I was able to remove the 13+ GB that was contained in windows.old by right clicking C drive/properties/disc cleanup. However, I am left with a now empty folder for Windows.old that when I try to delete, it says it is no longer in C. I know the contents are gone, as my drive shows that I now have those 13 gigs back.

Salt, Mar 23, 2007
  6. Spaz000

Titch

Easy answer is....Yes you can with out anyproblems.

Just be sure you ain't left any documents or music you would like to keep in your old "My Documents" folder. From what I can tell the purpose of it is to ensure you dont loose any doc, photo's or other media you might want to keep and offers no technical qualities.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask me a question and I dont know the answer, I'm gonna tell you that I don't know! But I know how to find the answer and I will find the answer! -: WillSmith - The Pusuit of Happiness.

Titch, Apr 2, 2007
  7. Spaz000

xPhantomx

I have also deleted the contents of the Windows.old folder but says the same thing when I try to delete it. How do you get rid of this folder????

xPhantomx, Apr 4, 2007
  8. Spaz000

kylerpointer

i also did a custom install and i have a windows.old folder with all my old crap inside. How do i use those applications with Vista? I need to access my iTunes music as well as other apps on Vista. Thanks

kylerpointer, Apr 4, 2007
  9. Spaz000

Titch

Windows.old is not a means to access old applications but rather to give you access to all your documents i.e music, pictures videos, txt, spreadsheets etc. In XP when you did a full install you had to make a back up of all your stuff to an external drive/partition or you would loose everything. This way you can dive straigt in to the installation,relocate all your stuff to the new documents folder found in Vista and delete the "Windows.old" folder.

To access all your old applications such as Itunes you will need to reinstall them. Just remember get all them documents and media files before you go deleting the .old folder.

Titch, Apr 6, 2007
  10. Spaz000

kylerpointer

I reinstalled iTunes, but it says that the music on my iPod cannot be played on "another computer"... Because i changed OS's, iTunes sees my computer as a different computer now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

kylerpointer, Apr 7, 2007
  11. Spaz000

Titch

Every machine you want to play your purchased music on needs to be authorised to do so and you can only authorise up to 5 machines at once. Read this article for further help.

Also there are some compatibility issues with running iTunes on vista. Read this.

Hope this helps!

Titch, Apr 7, 2007
  12. Spaz000

warlord

All I know is I booted from the 64 Bit DVD and installed a fresh copy over my existing Vista 32 Bit,upon install and reboot I showed a Old windows Folder which I promply Deleted freeing several Gigs..........

warlord, Apr 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question