"Windows needs to install driver software for your RAID controller" - please help.

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Roy Mayo, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Roy Mayo

Roy Mayo

Hi,

My motherboard is an ASUS A8V, to which are connected 4 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives. I do not run in RAID.

Each time I boot up, and Windows Vista HP runs I get a message which says " Windows needs to install driver Software for your RAID controller", then goes on to search for the software. It tells me to insert the disc, whichI do not have, as I purchased the motherboard second hand on eBay. It then says it is going to search on the web, but does not find anything.

In the BIOS, only the IDE drives are recognised, not the two SATA drives. However in Vista 'Computer' all the drives appear and are accessible.

During Boot Up some screens flash past very quickly and contain the words- A8V, and Fast Track Controller, and Promise-. I guess that I need drivers from Promise, but do not know which model of controller I need or howI would install it. There is such a wide variety on the Promise web site.

I realise that the motherboard is a very old model and not longer supported by ASUS. Will you please advise how to overcome this difficultyon which my level of knowledge is insufficient.

Many thanks

Roy Mayo.

Roy Mayo, Jul 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Roy Mayo

WAW8

I'm afraid you're pretty much out of luck.

According to the specs I found at the ASUS site, your mobo uses the Promise PC20387 RAID controller. But when I checked at the Promise site, under legacy drivers, there was no 387 RAID driver listed.

So, it looks like neither ASUS nor Promise provide drivers for that controller anymore.

WAW8, Jul 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Roy Mayo

Roy Mayo

Hi, and thank you for your response.

Please consider also whether there may be drivers which are backwards compatible. for example the Radeon drivers.

Many thanks,

Roy Mayo.

Roy Mayo, Jul 13, 2010
  4. Roy Mayo

WAW8

We don't certify the compatibility of any drivers, so whether or not XP-era drivers will work in Vista is a risk only you can decide whether or not to take.

As said, the Promise site didn't list ANY drivers for that card.

You can check the Asus site if you wish, but I would advise against installing XT-era drivers because, unlike video cards where you can boot into safe mode and restore old drivers, with disk controllers, if the drivers error out, not only do you lose access to the connected drive(s), you also run the risk of completely trashing the associated filesystems and losing most, if not all, of the data contained in those filesystems.

In terms of experimenting with RAID drivers, you're pretty much on your own.

WAW8, Jul 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question