Windows Media Player - Codec Issues

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Brieanna82, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Brieanna82

Brieanna82

I have been researching this issue for a few days and have encountered more problems than the one I started with. Here we go...

I did a clean install of Windows Vista Home Basic on my HP laptop. Windows Media Player would not play .mpg files (no problems with .avi)that I had transferred from my video camera. The error was that I was missing the AC3 Audio Codec. I also had an issue with the icons for the video files. The icons were not a clip of the video file, but rather a default MPEG icon. After visiting several forums, I decided to download the K-Lite Codec Pack. This fixed the video playback issue on WMP. However, when I would open the . mpg files for playback, there would still be a little red circle with a white "x" next to the file name as it was playing in WMP. I clicked on the icon to get the error details and it said I still needed the AC3 Audio codec. I went back to the web and found an AC3 Audio Filter and Decoder. Problem solved, no more error icon in WMP.

New problem... I am missing a lot of default icons for programs, such as Desktop link, Pictures link, etc. AND I am now missing file names on my items in Windows Explorer. Basically I can see the file folders and default icons (still no custom icons for my video files), but there are no file names under the icons. To make matters worse, I can no longer access my Control Panel. Everytime I click on an icon in the Control Panel, I get a blank page that says "Page Failed to Load".

Please help me get my default icons,video icons,and file names... and access to my control panel!

Any help is beyond appreciated :D

Brieanna82, Jan 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Brieanna82

Brieanna82

I have now uninstalled the AC3 Audio filter and decoder and have regained use of my control panel and recovered some of my default icons. In removing the AC3 I now have the red circle with the white "x" back on my files when I play them in WMP. The issue with the file names not showing was fixed by changing the properties on the video folder (somehow I must have clicked "Hide File Names").

My only other real problem remains to be the thumbnails not showing up for video files.

Brieanna82, Jan 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question