Windows Media Player 11 stopped working

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Nikilet, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Nikilet

Nikilet

I have Vista Home Premium SP2

I saved a wmv email attachment to my desktop, scanned with BDIS and then opened. Windows Media Player opened but nothing happened. The file did not play. I've been searching for an answer for over an hour. At one point I had WMP open and the white screen turned black and over to the right it showed play list and said this attachment was playing, but there was nothing there.

I have not made any changes to my system except to install the latest Windows Updates a few days ago. This happened to me once before and I got it working again; have no idea how. I also ran that Microsoft FixIt tool and it found nothing. I went into my email delete box and tried to run a wmv attachment that had previously played and it wouldn't play either.

Can anyone help me?

Nikilet, Jun 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Nikilet

Nikilet

P.S. I downloaded a program called GSpot to check on codecs, which I know nothing about. But what it shows is:

Audio: Codec: 0x0161 (WMA V2) Status Undetermined

Video: Codec: WMV 2 Name: WMP v8 Codec Status Undetermined

I opened IE8, went to YouTube and played several videos there with no problem.

I also installed VLC Media Player which seems to work fine.

Nikilet, Jun 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Nikilet

Pizdets

Why not just download vlc player. Its petty much the best free media player for windows out there. It has almost all the codecs already preinstalled and supports most of the file formats out there.

Been using it for a couple of months and it works great, no bugs or crashes.

Pizdets, Jul 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question