Windows Mail taking too long to compose message

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Crumpet, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Crumpet

Crumpet

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I just got Vista Basic today with my new Dell PC. I imported over 8000 contacts from my address book from my old computer into Windows Mail. Now, whenever I go to compose a new mail, Windows Mail will then freeze for about 20 seconds and then show the "New Message" window. The same thing happens if I go to to Tools, Options, Compose, it takes 20 seconds for the Compose tab to come up. Everything else in Windows Mail seems to work fine. I used a file monitor for sysinternals (which Microsoft now owns) to see what was going on when I clicked "Create Message" or go to the Compose tab. It seems that it logs a bunch of enteries like this:

C:\Users\Mike\Contacts\john@domain.com.contact
    C:\Users\Mike\Contacts\Marry Jane.contact
    C:\Users\Mike\Contacts\joe@domain.com.contact

Obviously Windows Mail is scanning all my contacts each time I try to compose a new message to allow "quicker" access to my address book when I start to type in the E-mail address of a recipiant. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Mike

Crumpet, Feb 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Crumpet

adamrogas

This is happening to me as well but I have my contacts pointed at a network share for my contacts, the system is set up to treat the files as synced (offline) files when ever the I would have thought that windows mail would have been smart enough to use the cached copies of the files, it has to maintain them for the offline files system to work any ways.

I had to move to express cause outlok 2007 was so slow it was useless.

adamrogas, Feb 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question