windows mail saved .eml messages have no content

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by matthias102, Nov 3, 2010.

1. matthias102

matthias102

Been using windows mail (Vista32) for long time. I have 50+ sub-folders under "Imported Folders" and each one of these contains many, many email messages.

All was fine until 10/31/10 when something happened and now every sub-folder in the "Imported Folder" was affected. Inbox, Sent, Deleted, Contacts are all fine, it is only the messages under "Imported Folders" that were affected. In WM it appears that the messages are there - the From, Subject, Date, Attachments, etc all appear in the message pane. Even the Size is listed and looks correct. But there is NOTHING in any of the messages in the preview pane. Every single message is empty and the From: To: and Subject: are all BLANK in the preview pane.

If I navigate to my store directory and look at the size of each .eml message, they all say 0kb and all are dated 10/31/10 2:19pm (give or take a minute). So it looks like something wiped out the content at that time.

If I COPY the entire Windows Mail folder to another location, the size during copy shows up as about 89mb which seems reasonable for the 2,000 plus messages and attachments that were in my original folder. So this makes it look like the content is still there - somewhere.

But after copying, if I navigate to the new location and look at the size of all the .eml files they are all still 0kb just like the original.

And NO, there is no backup available. I had just combined 3 different email accounts from other PC's into this one new account and had not yet backed up the new one. I got all my data combined and working in WM on 10/30/10 and verified all my sub-folders were in-tact and correct. Had not yet had a chance to backup before 10/31/10 problem where it all disappeared.

The only thing that may have changed in this time period was that I had set the registry to clear the Page File on shutdown. But I don't see how that should have anything to do with physical data on the drive??? And I'm not positive that I did that in this time period.

Is there any way to try and recover the content of my .eml messages ????

matthias102, Nov 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. matthias102

Lech

As with any lost data you can try to recover it with one of many recovery programs. Just today (11.4.10), they are giving one away at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ . If you decide to try it, please remember to install it on a different drive/partition than the one you want to recover data from. If that doesn't work, there are always paid services that specialize
    in data recovery.

Lech, Nov 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. matthias102

matthias102

lost .eml content

thanks Lech. I will give that a try and see what it finds.

matthias102, Nov 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question