Windows Installer

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Schrodinger, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Schrodinger

Schrodinger

I've searched this forum and wasn't able to locate an existing thread on this topic so I apologize if it's been addressed already.

I've been trying to update my drivers for my laptop (Dell Studio17) and I constantly run into the following error,

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed. This can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Well I'd have better luck contacting the dead before I got in touch with Dell. So I took it upon myself to google my way through the problem. I ran a msiexec command and checked under the tab 'servcies' (not sure if that's the right one but it was the one I was supposed to look at) and didn't even see the program listed.

I've also read that Windows is no longer using this program. All my Windows Updates are current.

Does anyone have any advice on how to update my drivers? Can I use something other than Windows Installer?

I did run a reg clean but that didn't correct anything that I could see. I'm hoping that the system crashes I'm experiencing are due to out of date drivers (computer crashes when I play games).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Schro

Schrodinger, Jun 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Schrodinger

Rocky

Do you have "System Mechanic" installed? It can be quite aggressive when run and can corrupt Windows Installer.
    I'm not allowed to post a link yet as I'm new to this forum but you should find a solution if you Google.
    MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE YOU TRY TO FIX!!
    Hope this helps.

Rocky, Jun 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Schrodinger

Peterlittlechen

It is very easy..

Peterlittlechen, Jul 2, 2012
  4. Schrodinger

Rhapsody

Rhapsody, Jul 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question