Windows Installation Help

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by iToastie, Aug 30, 2009.

1. iToastie

iToastie

Hello,

Today I decided to reinstall a fresh Windows, since I knew I had junk just sitting there. I also like to reinstall every few months. Anyway, I have been running Windows Vista on the computer for awhile now, the computer was made for XP, but it ran Vista just fine. I figured instead of installing Vista again, I would install XP, just so I could get the best performance out of my computer. Well I went to install Windows XP from my CD, formatting my hard drive, deleting all partitions. Created a new partition and then it started copying files. It finished copying files, said 15 seconds until restart, so I let it go, it restarted and all was fine. Then it went passed the HP screen, it said Press any key to boot from CD....Error loading operating system.

I have installed a OS many times, and it has always said Press any key to boot from CD.... then it finishes installation. Now it says Error loading operating system.

I tried it again, formatting everything. Same thing.

Then I loaded the default BIOS configuration. Tried it again, same thing.

Then I tried to install Vista, same exact thing happen, after the first reboot, it said Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.... but then nothing happens after that. Cant even press any key to load from CD (after the 5 dots went across after DVD.....).

I always took out my video card, and plugged my monitor into the original motherboard monitor slot.

Now, I really don't care which I have installed.... XP or Vista, preferably XP, for best performance, but Vista will do, I just need my computer.

Note: I have both Windows XP and Windows Vista installation CDs.

iToastie, Aug 30, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. iToastie

WAW8

Since your machine hangs on reading the media on both CDs (even though one is a DVD), I would suspect the CD/DVD drive.

I would check the media for scratches & smudges to make sure they're readable.

Would also try reading them in a different machine.

When you installed Vista on this box, was XP already installed? And if so, did you install from inside XP? Asking because the other possibility is that you're running a SATA controller and the installer can't see the drive. This would not happen if you installed Vista from inside XP because the SATA controller driver would have already been installed and running.

WAW8, Aug 31, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question