Window's install will not finish. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by exotickiss, Dec 28, 2008.

1. exotickiss

exotickiss

Ok I'm completely lost here. I just bought an Acer Aspire 4720z at the beginning of the month and I completely regret it already!!

It came with Vista Home Premium, 2GB of memory, 120 GB hard drive and intel dual processor 1.83GHZ.

About a week after I got it the stupid empowering technology framework errored out and hasn't worked since. I never even got a chance to make the recovery CD since I didn't know I would have to make one and didn't buy any DVD-r's.

Well I called Acer and they say the only way to fix the errors I'm getting is to restore to factory default and they sent me the set of recovery disks that I need.

Well I guess I should of just said screw it and left it alone.

It gets all the way through the restore to where it restarts then command prompt comes up sayings "Update device driver, please wait" Then the error "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed" comes up. I click OK and it restarts the computer and now all I get is "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer and then restart installation".

I have tried to reinstall it probably over 7 times now with the same results. I was on the phone with Acer most the day yesterday. They gave me 2 ISOs to downlaod and burn that format and partition the hard drive. They work but when I go to put Vista on it, I get the same error over and over again.

I really don't want to resort to sending it in for repair and they said chances are that's the next step. I'm half tempted just to put XP on it but I've only had it a month and I don't want to void the warranty.

Does anyone have any suggestions?!? Let me know if you need any more information about my system.

exotickiss, Dec 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. exotickiss

WAW8

Hope you understand that diagnosing boot-related problems without hands-on access to the computer is nothing more than guesswork -- so here is my guess ...

Since the ACER came preinstalled with Vista, it most probably uses a BIOS-locked mechanism for activation, something known as a SLIC table. If that table gets corrupted somehow (like, during a BIOS flash or upgrade), it's likely that the Vista installation will not finish -- generating the symptoms you're seeing.

If you changed any BIOS settings, the first step would be to boot into the BIOS and restore the defaults. The keys you press to boot into the BIOS vary by machine. Your ACER documentation should provide that information.

If you haven't changed BIOS settings and you're experienced at flashing a BIOS, have the code and tools to do that, that would be my second step.

Barring those changes, only reflashing the BIOS is going to get the machine into a state where it will finish the Vista reload -- and that is why ACER wants you to send them the machine.

WAW8, Dec 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. exotickiss

exotickiss

Well I got that fixed. I ended up using my Ubuntu live CD to completely delete all the partitions off my hard drive and reformatting it. Vista loads fine but now my wireless card is undetected and my network controller is listed under Other Devices instead of Network Adapters. I spent a good 6 hours or so figuring out that I guess it's a broadcom BCM 4310 but none of the drivers for that card work and I have no idea how to get my network controller back up to date. Everything about it in my Device Manager is unknown.

exotickiss, Dec 30, 2008
  4. exotickiss

WAW8

There's a chance that the network drivers are on one of the recovery disks that Acer sent you -- at least, the last time I restored an HP using their disks, that was the case.

Would browse through the disks looking for folders with drivers.

If Acer makes drivers available from their website, that would be another place to check.

Of course, I'm presuming that you're back running Vista, not Ubuntu.

WAW8, Dec 30, 2008
  5. exotickiss

deonjahy

Put in the recoverydvd that Acer support sent you which you used to install vista back on your machine and reboot,if something comes up that says "Press any key to boot from cd" then press a key and then it will say windows is loading files. once the screen pops up you simply select your language and then at the bottom left corner of you screen you will see an option to recover your pc, click that. Next you will see a list of recovery options and "fix my pc" should be one of them. select that and it should load all the missing drivers for you.

If that doesent work then check the Acer website for driver updates and download and install the update for your wireless card. Also when you buy a factory built pc they usually have modified drivers for the graphics card and display so you will need to download them from the Acer website and not NVIDIA or whatever brand you have. If you still are stuck let me know and I will look into this a little more for you.

deonjahy, Jan 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question