Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by CoolStuffZone, Sep 2, 2010.

1. CoolStuffZone

CoolStuffZone

When my Windows Vista laptop boots up, the following error messages are displayed in a never ending loop, preventing me from doing anything in the GUI.

"Windows Explorer has stopped working"
    "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working"

I've tried booting in Safe Mode, but the errors still occur. I've had minor success booting into Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt and was able to scan the disk for errors, but some of the errors couldn't be fixed.

I also downloaded a Windows Vista Recovery disk (using another computer) and was only able to restore the system back to a state from last month. The errors are still occurring.

I'm not able to reload the system, because all my disks are back home and I'm currently out of town on vacation.

What will the reload Vista option from the Windows Vista Recovery disk do?
    Will I lose my personal files? What else can be done in the Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt option? Thanks for any help or assistance.

CoolStuffZone, Sep 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. CoolStuffZone

CoolStuffZone

I also managed to open the Windows Task Manager and discovered two processes with no user name or description. They were "csrss.exe" and "winlogon.exe". When I tried to end those processes, I got a message stating that access was denied. Are those normal Windows processes?

Another thing; Is it possible to start the laptop in target disk mode or remove the hard drive, and then hook it up to a Mac? Would Virtual PC be able to do anything? All my other computers are PowerPC Macs running OS X.

Last thing; Is it possible to backup data to an external drive using the Safe Mode command prompt? I can't do anything in the Windows GUI.

Thanks again...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    CoolStuffZone, Sep 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. CoolStuffZone

CoolStuffZone

Update

Update....

Removed the hard drive and hooked it up to my PowerMac, using a SATA to USB2 adapter.
    I managed to backup all my user and document information to a FireWire Drive. I have complete access to the drive under OS X, and I'm currently looking for suspicious looking files.

I remember installing some audio and xvid video codecs recently. I'm wondering if those files could be causing problems. Does anybody know where they might be stored? Thanks.

CoolStuffZone, Sep 4, 2010
  4. CoolStuffZone

WAW8

If this machine came with Vista preloaded, and all you have is a CD (not a full installation DVD), then most probably, what the CD will do is the following:
    1) Boot you into WinPE
    2) Launch a system wipe and restore process -- using a Vista image stored elsewhere on your hard drive
    3) Restore the machine to the state it was in when you first opened the box.

This means that ALL data (files, settings, apps) would be removed in the process.

As to the codecs, those in themselves would most probably NOT cause your problems, but depending on WHERE you got them, and what software you ran to install them, there's no telling what other damage they might have done.

As to recovery, the "sfc /scannow" recovery process often has to be run from a Boot CD and in command mode. Running it from inside Vista, more often than not, simply does not work -- in that if finds corrupted files but does not repair or replace them.

WAW8, Sep 5, 2010
  5. CoolStuffZone

CoolStuffZone

Update

Thanks for the reply.

I'm having a friend, who is house sitting, mail me my system restore disks.
    Will let everybody know how it goes. I HATE WINDOWS!!!!

Thanks again :)

CoolStuffZone, Sep 5, 2010
  6. CoolStuffZone

CoolStuffZone

Update

Update...

Using "MacFUSE" and "TuxeraNTFS", I was able to turn the NTFS formated laptop drive into a Read and Write drive under OS X. I was able to delete some suspicious looking "rundll32.exe" files, but when I tried to delete Norton 360, I got a message stating, I didn't have sufficient privileges. I reinstalled the hard drive, but the same popup errors are occurring. Oh well, at least I was able to backup.

Some other things I tried BEFORE messing with the drive under OS X...

After Windows Vista booted, I pressed "Control-Alternate-DEL" and brought up the Task Manager. I killed the "explorer.exe" process to stop the popup loop. I then went into User Accounts to try and create another User, but nothing I clicked on in User Accounts would work. I also, tried with explorer.exe running in the background, but was still unable to use User Accounts, at least with the GUI.

I also ran "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow", but since I wasn't booted from an alternate disk, not everything could be repaired. Also tried "msconfig", but wasn't able to do much using that. Kept getting various error messages.

Looks like a reinstall is going to be my best option...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    CoolStuffZone, Sep 5, 2010
  7. CoolStuffZone

CoolStuffZone

Update

Update...

Reinstalled system ( took about 2 hours ). Everything seems to be working fine now. I also uninstalled Norton 360 and setup automatic updates to warn me before any new updates are installed. I really wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place. That way I might be able to avoid it happening again.

CoolStuffZone, Sep 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question