windows explorer slow start

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by docross, Jun 25, 2008.

1. docross

docross

hi i have such a problem: when i unplug the lan cable windows explorer applications take 40-45 sec to start!!!

i have to wait that time to open any kind of file or folder however other external programs are not affect!!

it's very strange but when it's already opened a folder or file and is not closed any other folder or file can be opened without taking these 45 sec, i mean they start normally! and that happens every time the lan cable is unplugged.

i have no idea what to do

docross, Jun 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. docross

WAW8

If you have explorer set to an existing network file or folder when you unplug the LAN cable, this is going to happen because Vista is going to try to re-establish connection and eventually time out. If you're using the LAN to access network resources, change windows explorer to access a local resource before you unplug the LAN cable. That should prevent the problem. I'm able to plug and unplug the LAN cable at will without any problems -- but I'm not connected to any network resources when I do that.

WAW8, Jun 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. docross

docross

I can't understand how to do that. I'll be very thankful if you tell me the path!

I also don't see why such a problem is set to me by default.tnx :)

docross, Jun 26, 2008
  4. docross

WAW8

I would have no way of knowing what paths you use to access network resources.

When you say you are connecting to a LAN, are you doing so to gain access to files and/or applications? Or are you only doing so to gain access to the internet?

As to why it's happening to you ... if you are accessing network resources, as I've already said, this is how Windows works.

WAW8, Jun 26, 2008
  5. docross

docross

i use lan to access the internet.

thanks for the spared time but my problem persists and i still got no clue how to resolve it and i don't want to lose my vista and return to an xp os.

i meant the "path" to change the settings you were talking about :)

docross, Jun 26, 2008
  6. docross

docross

help please

docross, Jun 27, 2008
  7. docross

WAW8

Sorry ... misunderstood your problem. I thought you were using the LAN to access folders or files on a network. But you said you're only using the LAN to access the internet. Are you opening any files or folders on the net?

If not, there's no reason why you should be experiencing this problem and no apparent fix.

However, you also said that if windows explorer is already open when you unplug the LAN, there is no delay in using it. So, why not just make sure you have windows explorer open before you unplug the LAN? Sounds like a very simple workaround to me...

WAW8, Jun 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question