Windows Explorer has stopped working

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by andyg83, Apr 14, 2007.

1. andyg83

andyg83

Yesterday i was pleased to recieve in the post the long awaited arrival of my Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade kit for my ACER Aspire 5102 Laptop. The upgrade process took forever but eventually got there. Now vista is installed and looks pretty, but it won't let me do ANYTHING. Every window i open or program I try to run it gives me the message Windows Explorer has stopped working, it then restarts it and goes back to the desktop. I've tried restarting the computer several timesbut that hasn't helped. I followed all the instructions from ACER to the letter when installing and their website's technical help doesn't cover this issue. I've read on some other forums of people having the same problem with different brands of computer, but haven't been able to find any solutions.

I have been able to get into the Event Viewer and the error reports are mostly to do with Explorer.exe and one report is as follows...

'Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b091, faulting module lameACM.acm, version 0.0.9.0, time stamp 0x3ded0254, exception code 0x0000005, fault offset 0x0000116e, process id 0x15fc, application start time 0x01c77e7f631b5812.'

It's also worth noting that the 'faulting module lameACM.acm' is in about 99% of the error reports on there.

All help appreciated.
    BTW I'm using another computer to write this message as I can't use IE on my laptop!

Cheers, Andy. Yorkshire, UK

andyg83, Apr 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. andyg83

andyg83

I have just managed to trace and solve the problem. It's wasted my saturday but I'm glad to have fixed it. I noticed it was crashing when there would normally be a sound played, ie that short click when you click on a link in IE or control panel, etc. I managed to get into system restore (after lots of frustration) and rolled it back to before the upgrade process installed the audio drivers. Now everything is working fine even the audio!

So to anyone else who's having a similar problem I suggest looking at your audio drivers.

Andy.

andyg83, Apr 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. andyg83

Walker

Congratulations. Sorry i couldn't help to stop you from wasting a saturday but frankly there have been no problem with my Vista except the betas and those were a pain in the butt. Try running them with a GeForce 4 then they really hate you.

Walker, Apr 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question