Windows explorer has stopped working loop & 0x81000202 error

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bretty, May 2, 2007.

1. bretty

bretty

Heya i bought a new lap top out of the box a toshiba satellite a100 with vista ready to go. It was working fine for a week then a few days ago i started to to "windows explorer has stopped working error messages and then a windows explorer is restarting" these two messages just reloop constantly and i can access any programs except via my browser.

I attempted to restore system files and seetings but i encountered the following error the volume shadow copy service used by system restore isnt working 0x81000202.

Its totally maddening when you cant use a brand new comp because of it please can someone help low tech minded pleb before he throws the laptop away

Cheers

Brett

E packorcash@bigpond.com

bretty, May 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bretty

bretty

since no one knows i guess i should of bought a mac! vista sucks

bretty, May 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. bretty

VistaRocks

Ok i cant understand why you posted the same problem under 2 different catagorys but if you are looking for help then give it some time, some ppl do have other things going on in there lives you know. Plus with that kind of attitude ppl arent gonna want to help. Please be patient, thank you.

VistaRocks, May 3, 2007
  4. bretty

cyclic

Are you up to date with all updates ? have you tried searching 'help' in the main menu (the OEM will have added machine specific help that you wont get at Microsoft ) You don't say when this happens, which would be useful to know, if it was working say a week ago try rolling it back using system restore to a time when it was OK, if you have recently installed any software or drivers before this happened then remove them again and see if the problem is helped....................it's easier to help if you post more detail like the make and model of the machine, what you or the machine was doing when this first happened, otherwise it's a bit like asking someone how long a piece of string is because it's yellow, the best that you can expect is an educated guess at the cause, the more information you provide the more accurate any diagnosis will be and also you're likely to get an answer sooner as there is information to work with.

cyclic, May 6, 2007
  5. bretty

Jason

Have you tried booting in Safe mode?

Jason, May 7, 2007
  6. bretty

garak0410

I have had the SAME exact problem and I have made an exhaustive search of the net to find a solution and I don't find any beyond reloading Vista and I really don't want to do that...I've tried just about everything.

Safe Mode DOES let me view the directory without Windows Explorer "stop working"...however, load back in to normal mode and it happens again...what is frustrating now is that it happens at the root level directory of one of my hard drives and I can't view the files via explorer (but I can in safe mode or a command prompt)...how can I bring this to MS attention?

garak0410, May 13, 2007
  7. bretty

Omar

You are very irrate and rude, this is not how you should act on forums (really gets to me :p) Anyway my aunts vaio did that but all she did was reformat an reinstalled and it worked fine ever since :) If its a new computer it was junk u dont need anyway.

Omar, May 30, 2007
  8. bretty

mlee0332

The problem lies with a piece of spyware called windows systen alerts. In the add remove programs, you will find this listed without a manufacturer. If it really were from microsoft it would jave microsoft corp written beside it.

To access the add/remove while the computer is inoperable:

boot machine, when it finishes booting and the loop begins, press ctrl+alt+del and click task manager.

go to the processes tab and end task on explorer.

go back to applications and click new task

type C:\

then click in the address bar, "Computer"

click unistall programs, and click on the windows safety alerts that DOES NOT have microsoft corp beside it.

It will tell you that the computer needs to be rebooted before the uninstallation and you must close all open applications. DO NOT click the close button on that window.

Hit the X in the corner of the control panel and wait for the computer to restart. When it finshes booting, no more windows explorer errors.

Hope this helps.

mlee0332, Jun 29, 2007
  9. bretty

Blesz

OMG Thank you so much this really helped me alot. ^_^

Blesz, Aug 24, 2007
  10. bretty

mesojaded64

mlee0322, I was also having the problem with windows explorer stopping and restarting repeatedly, and followed your instructions posted. I can only say that you are insanely gifted! I had tried everthing possible that I could find on the topic, but nothing worked until I found your post. Thank you soooo much for the help!

mesojaded64, Sep 7, 2007
  11. bretty

cyclic

So the main answer to these problems, and I'm being helpful here, is to make sure your windoes defender and any other malware\spyware detection software is up to date and running real time protection, there are several worms and trojans in the wild that can drop this into your system so you need proper protection software running.

If you have software running which you would have expected to 'catch' this, especially if it's up to date, it might be time to reconsider your choice.

Nice to see the problem has been fixed for those people.

cyclic, Sep 8, 2007
  12. bretty

pabuechler

I have the same problem. One site said that Microsoft will not fix this unless a lot of people have the same problem. Well, search on:" windows explorer has stopped working" and you will find hundreds, if not thousands, of complaints about this.

pabuechler, Sep 24, 2007
  13. bretty

AmericanNightmare

That's b/c there are numerous reasons why this might occur most all of them virus related.

It's not a MS issue it's a security issue as 9 times out 10 there is a virus causing the problem.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 24, 2007
  14. bretty

charlie8nne

hello I have tried this cannot get it to work my vista is an upgrade so will i be able to put the disk in and do a repair or will I have to reinstall business and upgrade again. Any help is very very much Apreciated

charlie8nne, Sep 30, 2007
  15. bretty

kingofnexus

Vista does not have a repair feature in its disc (XP did) but if you want to start afresh you can withyour upgrade cd. Search the forums for a more thorough walk through, but basically what you do is you boot into the vista upgrade disc, install vista with no cd key. This will install a clean, blank copy of vista, with a 30 day trial before expiration. Then you boot back into the disc again, and install again, this time using your cd key, and it will trick into 'upgrading' from the no cd version of vista. This way you get an absolutely clean copy of vista, no errors in the settings, just like what a full retail disc gives you. It will be like having a new computer all over again!

Warning: it will take a few hours to do as you will be waiting for it to install twice!

kingofnexus, Oct 2, 2007
  16. bretty

alexnick

I'm running Windows Vista Home on my Compaq Presario C700 laptop and I get the explorer crash, restart, loop. There's no Windows Safety Alerts in my Uninstall list, either. Can anyone lead me to the directory for msconfig since I can't run it from the start menu?

alexnick, Nov 20, 2007
  17. bretty

cyclic

windows\system32\msconfig.exe but I suspect it may not run even then, in the system variables where it's listed where the Temp folders and comspec is there is also an entry for the command line to look in the default 'path' which is windows\system32\ so I am thinking there are other problems.

cyclic, Nov 22, 2007
  18. bretty

Jason

Have you checked the system event log after this problem occurs? Go to Administrator -> Event logs -> System

Jason, Nov 22, 2007
  19. bretty

shirley

I'm also getting that restore error 0x81000202.

But when I look in the add/remove list of programs I don't see the windows system alert you say causes the problem. I do have windows media encoder 9 series without a publisher, would that do it?

shirley, Feb 1, 2008
  20. bretty

thestud54

Hi, Im having alot of difficulty, but so far so of this thread has helped.

A system restore to a week ago (problem was not here) did not do anything.

I really thought the windows system alerts was going to be my problem, but after searching through my installed programs list, I cannot find it anywhere!

I dont know whats going on, especially b/c windows explorer still fails and restarts in safe mode. Im assuming it has to me some sort of windows/microsoft product failing.

Im not sure what other information to provide besides that it is a Vaio sz430n about 6months old running vista business. Windows explorer had failed in the past (like once a month maybe) but it never was this troubling. This whole issue started last night when i was editing my video with Adobe CS3 software. Windows explorer would fail and restart several times last night, but eventually (about 5 minutes) the error would go away and be solved. Then i turned it on this morning and obviously it wont work in any mode. I have also sparingly experienced a frozen mouse and screen which required a restart (but didnt think it was a big deal).

If any other information would help, please ask. I will be donating if i find a solution!

thestud54, Feb 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question