windows did not receive a response from the router or access point

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by rcssmb, Jan 17, 2008.

1. rcssmb

rcssmb

I will try and explain the strange situation I am experiencing with a home wireless network and would welcome any help!

We have sky ADSL broadband using a ‘locked down’ Netgear DG934G. We have an ‘old’ laptop running Windows XP home with a Dlink USB wireless adaptor, a Nintendo Wii and two Dell Inspiron 530 Vista home premium pcs with internal wireless cards (both ASUSTek WL-138G_V2.)

Until a week ago all machines would happily connect to the router and the internet without problem. A week ago one of the Dell machines would not connect to the router – it would see the router and show it with excellent signal strength. If I tried to connect it would issue the following message and trouble shooting indicated a low QUALITY (not strength) signal.

"windows did not receive a response from the router or access point"

Contacted Dell who helpfully performed some diagnostics and sent a replacement network card which (you guessed!) had the same issues (I did uninstall old one and do a restart with no card in at all before switching off and installing new card).

Now the other Dell has started to have the same issue when connecting, this one is my daughters pc and is basically used as a TV (media centre in Vista home premium is pretty good) so apart from auto virus and windows updates has not been touched.

So I did a restore back to 10th Jan on my pc thinking an update must have spoiled it all but no such luck. I have now tried updated the system BIOS and drivers for the wireless card (tried windows, ASUS and Broadcom ones (not sure why Broadcom but they were listed on Dell website).

Wii and laptop still carry on working fine. I have tried reverting to factory settings on the router (its pretty locked down so not much scope) changing channels, setting it just to 802.11g, removing WPA key.

To make matters worse when I try the Dlink USB stick in the Dell that works fine.

How can I get the two Vista Dells to work as they used to using their internal wireless cards? I am all out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for anyone with the patience to read this far…..
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">

rcssmb, Jan 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. rcssmb

rcssmb

<DIV id=post_message_122694>An update on this one. The other 'TV' Dell is working fine, I only tried it quickly the other day as the system was coming of a sleep and it gave the same message. Hope this one was just a strange blip. I've also tried connecting to another router (without the ADSL connection - ta Sky!) and got the same message so I am putting this down to PC issue not a router or Vista problem.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV>Thanks

rcssmb, Jan 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. rcssmb

Jason

So drivers for the wireless card are the same on both Vista laptops? Does the laptop hook up to the router via wired ethernet and connect fine? Want to make sure it's a wireless problem not a tcp/ip.

It sounds an awful lot like a router problem, I unplug the router for 20 minutes or so, this way all the ARP cache will clear.

Jason, Jan 18, 2008
  4. rcssmb

rcssmb

An update on this one. Yes both computers use the same wireless card one works other doesn't. Both are fine on wired connection. Router has been rebooted plenty of times, I have also tried alternative channel numbers incase of local interference with no luck.

After four days analysis from Dell they have not been able to solve the issue so will be sending a replacement PC.

Just got the joy of setting the new one up again and transfering the data...

Thanks for your interest.

rcssmb, Jan 23, 2008
  5. rcssmb

WAW8

The reason Dell suggested Broadcom is that the wireless card uses the Broadcom 43xx chipset -- possibly the most widely-used wireless chipset.

Seriously, I don't think a new PC is going to be a long-term fix. After all, the other Inspiron works fine and the replacement wireless card fails. You're already tried a variety of drivers, the only thing left to do is replace the wireless hardware with a completely different device.

If it were a home-built machine, I would recommend using a different wireless card, but since you probably do NOT want to compromise your warranty service with Dell, the easiest solution is to use the USB stick that works.

WAW8, Jan 24, 2008
  6. rcssmb

Jason

Rebooting the router is not the same as letting it sit w/ out power for 20 minutes. It is necessary to sit for 20 minutes or so to erase all temporarily stored memory.

Jason, Jan 25, 2008
  7. rcssmb

ADDDaddy

My situation is very similar. I have a PC I built myself running XPand a Toshiba laptop running Vista HP. Up until last night I had no problem with my wireless laptop but of a sudden I could no longer connect. I tried repairing the connection, went through all the Vista wireless parameter changes, reset my router, in short, everything I read on the net. After updating the firmware on my router (a Linksys) and looking at my network set-up I started from square one with a wide open network. <U>In the end I found that the MAC address filter table was the culprit and when I disabled that I didnt get the error message anymore.</U> The network immediatley comes online. My network is still WPA encrypted so I am still failrly comfortable and I will find a solution to the table issue but I am up and running. Hope this helps.

ADDDaddy, Feb 3, 2008
  8. rcssmb

rcssmb

Guess what, new PC arrives but has the same problem! How come other Dell with same wireless card works?

I have even swapped out the physical tower cases to see if there was some environmental interference (desperate I know!) but problem persisted.

I have checked that there is no MAC filtering on the router. Although I have done a reset on the router I probably have not let it sit without power for that long so I will give it a try. Thanks

rcssmb, Feb 4, 2008
  9. rcssmb

WAW8

Jason recently posted a "sticky" on network troubleshooting. Have you tried those suggestions?

WAW8, Feb 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question