Windows Defender update causes Windows Mail to crash

Discussion in 'Security' started by Hud, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Hud

Hud

This is just a FYI, and a request that MS look into this issue, since I was able to fix it myself...

Yesterday morning Windows Mail began crashing, giving me the message, "Windows Mail has stopped working", whenever a new email started to download. Deleting any new, unread message via my ISP's webmail ap allowed WinMail to start normally again, but whenever a new message was available for download, it would crash again. It didn't matter if the messages had attachments or not.

Shutting down Avast anti-virus didn't help, however shutting down Windows Defender allows WinMail to run normally. Apparently WinMail is incompatible with the definitions update dated 2 June, 2011.

I'm running Vista32bit SP2, fully updated.

Hud, Jun 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Hud

Hud

Heh! I spoke too soon. WinMail is now crashing when attempting a message download even with Defender turned off. The only two changes to any apps on my computer since the problem began are definition updates for Defender and Avast, and a program update for Avast.

Hud, Jun 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question