Windows defender stop/start

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Podgersda, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Podgersda

Podgersda

Hi, I am a newbie here, I have pretty much no idea about computers so really technical stuff will be lost on me but I hope someone can help me?
    Just updated the Windows Defender on my PC running Vista, and I having problems getting it to start.
    I try to start it manually via control panel and when I click start, it stops after a few seconds with this message...sorry it is quite long!:

"The windows defender service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs"

What does this mean and how can I get windows defender to run?

Thank you

Podgersda, Nov 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Podgersda

Ztruker

Do you have another anti-virus program installed?
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    AVG
    Avast
    Avira
    Norton
    McAfee
    BitDefender
    etc?

Ztruker, Nov 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Podgersda

Podgersda

Computer problems

Hello, thanks for the reply.
    I also have Norton on the same machine.
    However things have developed slightly.
    I downloaded microsoft security essentials, it did a scan and it detected numerous problems, I clicked OK then it finished! and I don't know what it did after that, did it remove the problems? anyway my machine still had faults so I did a system restore and that has kinda helped but not completely.
    I have been told don't use Norton as it is rubbish, then told don't use windows security as it is rubbish,then i,m told once the ads problem is on your machine that's it for good!!!! I,m lost as what to believe.

Podgersda, Nov 19, 2013
  4. Podgersda

Ztruker

If you have Norton Defender should be disabled. If you install MSE then get rid of Norton and disable Defender. You only want one A/V program running.

I use MSE for XP, Vista and Win 7 and the built in Defender (which is really MSE) on 8 and 8.1.

Ztruker, Nov 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question